Engine tuning questions

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm trying to "fine tune" my engine and finally getting it running proper, and I have a few questions:

I installed a Pertronix Ignitor unit 10 years or so ago and have not (to my knowledge) had any problems with it.
I was under the impression that the Pertronix required no maintenance or adjustments after initial installation. Is that accurate?

Tune up order of operation:
1. Check dwell angle
2, Adjust ignition timing
3. Adjust carbs Is this accurate?

My engine is a transplant M30 from a fuel injected engine (533i) and therefore has a non-standard electric fuel pump supplying my Weber carbs.
Does this affect my tune up procedure in any way?

I welcome any hints or suggestions to get this right. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would check and adjust valve clearances first, then check dwell, set timing at 22 degrees BTDC at 1700 rpm. Check to see if linkages actuate at the same time, they need to be synced together.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you have a Pertronix you need not worry about dwell, it's taken care of. So yes, timing then sync carbs (do you have an air flow meter?) and alternate between adjusting the throttle plate screws and idle mixture screws until the desired idle rpm is reached (I like 950-1000 rpm). Recheck timing. Mixture screws are always the last adjustment.

Last edited: