engines for 1971 2800cs?

bpolk

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what engine to put into my coupe that will give me a good balance between performance, economy, and driveability/reliability. I don't want to do any cutting or tranny tunnel work. I like the idea of a modern fuel injection system. As far as tranny; I'm happy with the 4 speed, but would definitely consider a 5 speed if it fit with minimal fabrication/new parts.

1.) What engines will drop in or need only minor mounting/fabrication work?

2.) Has anyone "converted" a carbureted 2800 engine to modern fuel injection?
Because I could just do a rebuild and conversion - but I like "stock" for simplicity's sake.

3.) If you have an engine that you think might work that is for sale, then feel free to email me.

Bob Polk
1970 2800CS
1988 K75s
1989 LandCruiser
1964 122 Volvo Wagon
1974 Mercedes 508D Panel Van

There have been a multitude of engine swaps in the E9 body.

BMW used the same M30 motor all the way up to 1993, so you can pretty easily fit any of them in the E9 bay.

If you look in my sig, I used that particular engine/trans/FI combo to get the "best" of everything. The 87 block is 9:1 CR like later systems, but doesn't require motor mount adapter plates like later blocks will. The later FI system doesn't require any bellhousing sensors, so I didn't have to source a Motronic transmission. The Getrag 265 is arguably the strongest BMW 5 speed made during the 80s.

There are a ton of FAQs available on converting carbs/L-jet to Motronic. There is an excellent one at firstfives.org.

If you want a lot more performance, but don't mind punding out the firewall, you can shoehorn a S38 in there without too much trouble, and it is a nice swap. The problems are making it fit and finding a S38 to put in, as they usually go for about 10k with all the electronics.

Back