Essential Survival Kit

RobHannett

Reaction score
As part of a petrolheaded stag do, I'm thinking of taking my CSL in convoy down to Spa Francorchamps in May. I'm having reservations whether the old thing will make an 800 mile trip in 4-5 days. She's in good nick, but like me may not necessarily run too far before needing a cough and a wheeze and a cold beer.

Other than European road cover, a St.Christopher and a 4 leaf clover, anyone got any suggestions of essential kit to take in the boot?

Thanks

RobHannett

Reaction score
As part of a petrolheaded stag do, I'm thinking of taking my CSL in convoy down to Spa Francorchamps in May. I'm having reservations whether the old thing will make an 800 mile trip in 4-5 days. She's in good nick, but like me may not necessarily run too far before needing a cough and a wheeze and a cold beer.

Other than European road cover, a St.Christopher and a 4 leaf clover, anyone got any suggestions of essential kit to take in the boot?

Thanks

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not likely Rob, she will love it - I have done it in my csl and once you are sensible before hand it is not an unecessary risk.

European Breakdown Cover
Gaffer Tape and Wire (exhaust)
Radiator sealant (radweld)
Decent jack other than the original
Couple of extra tools
Belts
Fuel pump if you have one

Just the initial list.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not likely Rob, she will love it - I have done it in my csl and once you are sensible before hand it is not an unecessary risk.

European Breakdown Cover
Gaffer Tape and Wire (exhaust)
Radiator sealant (radweld)
Decent jack other than the original
Couple of extra tools
Belts
Fuel pump if you have one

Just the initial list.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Road kit for long trips

I'm a firm believer in the maxim "what you don't bring you will need" which is the direct corollary of "what did I bring this for". As a result I always take more than I need (sockets and wrenches up to 19mm) and end up needing nothing. Most of the problems end up being electrical so include selection of fuses, selection of wire and connectors, pliers/cutters and circuit diagram. Hoses and hose clamps not a bad idea either. All of this takes up about as much room as a briefcase (not that I own one).

I also bought a 12v air pump/self patching tire kit and battery cables that stays in the spare tire well.

Credit card with a large limit.

Doug

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Road kit for long trips

I'm a firm believer in the maxim "what you don't bring you will need" which is the direct corollary of "what did I bring this for". As a result I always take more than I need (sockets and wrenches up to 19mm) and end up needing nothing. Most of the problems end up being electrical so include selection of fuses, selection of wire and connectors, pliers/cutters and circuit diagram. Hoses and hose clamps not a bad idea either. All of this takes up about as much room as a briefcase (not that I own one).

I also bought a 12v air pump/self patching tire kit and battery cables that stays in the spare tire well.

Credit card with a large limit.

Doug

jmackro

Reaction score
A handful of common sized nuts and bolts - 8mm and 6mm - can come in handy. I always carry a little wire, a jackknive, and some electrical tape in case of electrical problems. Oh, and a few extra sparkplugs.

Even if you don't use this stuff on your own car, someone else on the trip will need it. And, it's a lot more fun making roadside repairs on someone else's car, than on your own!

jmackro

Reaction score
A handful of common sized nuts and bolts - 8mm and 6mm - can come in handy. I always carry a little wire, a jackknive, and some electrical tape in case of electrical problems. Oh, and a few extra sparkplugs.

Even if you don't use this stuff on your own car, someone else on the trip will need it. And, it's a lot more fun making roadside repairs on someone else's car, than on your own!

Paul T

Reaction score
Rob,

I have taken my CSL to Le Mans twice and neither time did the car let me down and dare I say was even better for the trip out.

I took the usual light tools but the only time I needed hardware was when an electric window stuck down and needed a nudge of encouragement to go up again. In that instance I had to borrow a long screw driver to do the prodding. If you do need tools sods law it will be the only thing you haven't packed!

My advice would be international breakdown cover, a few favoured tools and fluid just for your own piece of mind. Other than that maybe a couple of squidgy cushions to support those bits you find the seats aren't supporting (I was fine but my passenger was thankful of an extra bit of comfort).

Enjoy the adventure and don't forget the sunnies - 8)

Paul

Paul T

Reaction score
Rob,

I have taken my CSL to Le Mans twice and neither time did the car let me down and dare I say was even better for the trip out.

I took the usual light tools but the only time I needed hardware was when an electric window stuck down and needed a nudge of encouragement to go up again. In that instance I had to borrow a long screw driver to do the prodding. If you do need tools sods law it will be the only thing you haven't packed!

My advice would be international breakdown cover, a few favoured tools and fluid just for your own piece of mind. Other than that maybe a couple of squidgy cushions to support those bits you find the seats aren't supporting (I was fine but my passenger was thankful of an extra bit of comfort).

Enjoy the adventure and don't forget the sunnies - 8)

Paul

pmansson

Reaction score
I did 1000 miles on Thursday and another 350 the following day. See my posting. I will bring a bottle of STP the next time, in case the oil pressure falls too low.

pmansson

Reaction score
I did 1000 miles on Thursday and another 350 the following day. See my posting. I will bring a bottle of STP the next time, in case the oil pressure falls too low.