Euro M6 comparison

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
M6

It continues to amaze me that what appears to be a very nice euro M6 would command a price so much lower that an E9 in similar condition. Are these cars poised to jump in value or are there just so many that it is not as "collectable"?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/4839544162.html

also on BaT

Stan, if you found a lowish mileage, pristine M635csi... I think it would appreciate very well. What are the real miles on this car? The speedo is a USA unit (probably changed when it was federalized). Looks great with nice color combo. Suggest you buy it and do another x-country adventure.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan, if you found a lowish mileage, pristine M635csi... I think it would appreciate very well. What are the real miles on this car? The speedo is a USA unit (probably changed when it was federalized). Looks great with nice color combo. Suggest you buy it and do another x-country adventure.

Then I would need another lift in the garage! Also, not time to be on a "shark" board...:mrgreen:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow, my favorite M6 color combo.
That combo is quite rare.
I have only seen one other M6 that color.
Best I can tell with such limited information a very good price.

Euro car? Then M88 motor, which are getting difficult to get parts for.
Just saying..........

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I drove an '88 M6 right before I bought my Coupe, and I had passed on a few M635CSi's and other M6's. I love them dearly, but I couldn't stomach the rebuild cost on an S38 or M88. They really are temperamental and very costly to fix if and when they pop.

If I had more money laying around though, I'd buy the Navy blue one listed, enjoy it till it popped and then fix it. I just couldn't justify a toy where a rebuild cost equalled the acquisition cost.

They've been climbing in value too. If they've been on anyone's radar, now is the time.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I drove an '88 M6 right before I bought my Coupe, and I had passed on a few M635CSi's and other M6's. I love them dearly, but I couldn't stomach the rebuild cost on an S38 or M88. They really are temperamental and very costly to fix if and when they pop.

If I had more money laying around though, I'd buy the Navy blue one listed, enjoy it till it popped and then fix it. I just couldn't justify a toy where a rebuild cost equalled the acquisition cost.

They've been climbing in value too. If they've been on anyone's radar, now is the time.

Someone reported a M6 selling at auction for $57k. So Stan, this is the time if you want to catch the wave. Find some indoor storage in NH for $75/mo and sell it on in 5 years. Even if you have to pay Mario $12k to refresh the motor, you'll make $$. Take it out with the E9 Noreasters and blow everyone away other than Duane.

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lifts

Then I would need another lift in the garage! Also, not time to be on a "shark" board...:mrgreen:

Stan, you can get a double drive-on storage lift so you actually have space for 4 cars (or is it 6?).

John

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
like this...

This is what you need, one or two?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 11.35.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 11.35.11 AM.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 117

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan's M6

Come on Stan , you can park it next to my M6 in the other garage.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan,

Just still a little young I think, fantastic looking and driving cars and in 10 years time, I think they have a ton of potential. A couple of low mileage ones have sold in and around $50-$60k, so there are a couple of people who really believe in them.

Complications is a big worry, compared to our E9s these are a dramatic move into the days of electronics and plastics.

Buying a great one now and driving it, seems like a really sensible idea.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been interested in a Euro M, still am... But have gotten really mixed advice on whether sensible to take on the care of a M88. Have heard "it's the best engine BMW made" and "it has many failure modes and you'll regret matters after a $15k repair bill". Well, maybe it plays the equivalent role to the rust factor with E9s.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a good friend with an 87 euro M635CSi that was imported when new by his best friend, stunning condition, he is asking $25K, red, staggered 8 and 9" Alpinas. It's a beauty.

rodspock

Reaction score
The E24 M6 is a fantastic car - here is a picture of my two.

In RHD these are as rare as a CSL - 524 made. Body wise these are more resistant to rust than the E9, however most are from the UK.

The engine's achilles heel is the single row timing change which need to be changed at 100K miles. I have some evidence that my car had the odometer wound back. The timing chain broke at 108K miles (probably 130K real miles) and a previous owner had the engine rebuilt.

That said, the engine is the centre piece of these cars. They are tractable and torquey at low revs and are monsters above 4500 rpm.

The M6 is noticeably heavier than the E9 and more modern to drive. I do not think that the electrics are much more complicated than the E9 - just more of them. The quality of construction of cars is significantly better than the E9s.

The values of the RHD cars is on the up, particularly in the UK. A RHD car is hard to find for less than 20K Quid, good cars are approaching 30K Quid, and low milers are beyond that. This is probably because most of the good cars are here in Australia.

Cheers,

Rod

Attachments

• DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 141

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a good friend with an 87 euro M635CSi that was imported when new by his best friend, stunning condition, he is asking $25K, red, staggered 8 and 9" Alpinas. It's a beauty.

Chris, I have a good friend looking for a car, can you get me more info?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If one is worried about engines blowing up, you could always get a 635I and have 88% of the goodness. I think that BAT car is well worth the risk of it not working.