Euro road suggestions

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Will be going to Munich with my Son next week and renting a 1 series to use as our command center for 10 days. Initially planning on heading South into Mountain territory (Austria/Switzerland) , then heading up through Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands, ditching the car in Amsterdam and maybe picking up another for a few days in the UK before we come home. Looking for interesting WW2 museums and historical sights as well.

Any tips from past trip highlights, amazing towns and roads greatly appreciated. We can go anywhere the rental car company approves of.

Thanks, Bob.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If the weather is clear and sunny consider Hitler's Eagle's Nest outside of Salzburg. We went when there wasn't a cloud in the sky and could see for miles from up top. Spectacular and creepy at the same time. Driving around Bavarian Alps is very picturesque.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK....I can go for that . Now on the list. Thanks Stan and DQ.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
If you enjoy driving: San Bernard Pass and Gotthard Pass (go over, not through the tunnel). You´ll be passing the weather watershed between north and south of europe on either. Going up on the north side in fog and breaking through to sunshine on the south side and going down towards Italy and the mediterean. Plenty of other lovely passes as well. Southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland are wonderfull drving countries.

If you are a seriously good driver in car that you know well, here´s a little hidden gem: Find "Arosa" on the map of Switzerland. It´s a smaller ski resort a bit off the usual tracks. The last 30k of mountain road to Arosa (climbing from 600 to 1800m) are probably the most fun I´ve ever had (in my 2005 330Ci SMG, since stolen). No point in driving it at normal times. Get up before dawn and start your ascend of the last 30k just when daylight ist breaking so you can see enough (too dangerous to really push hard in the dark) and there is no traffic. Poinless chugging up it behind another car or truck. But with a clear road and early daylight...
+ it´s a dead end. So you get to turn around once you´re up there and get to have the same fun going down...

Belgium and Netherlands are pretty boring to drive through. So for scenic driving stay south as long as you can. When you do go north, stay easterly in Germany for longer (France is pretty boring outside of Paris as well and very dull to drive through) and pass through Heidelberg (a bit of a cliche though), go over to the Nurburgring (but don´t drive a rental on it, it´s not covered by insurance). Instead go to one of the spots to watch and see lot´s o people overestimating their driving skills on the Ring.
Further north Cologne has a nice vibe but is not much too look at. Duesseldorf is very nice (and still on track to getting to Amsterdam)

In the southern parts of germany there are some very nice technical museums (one in Sinsheim which is very fine). Less of WW2 museums in germany (or Austria or Switzerland) for different reasons. Obviously all references to WW2 in Germany would be pretty glum. So for nicer museums of WW2 you´ll have to pass into the UK. They have reason to celebrate it.

Not on your route, but the most fun and interesting city in Germany is probably Berlin. Prag is fun too. Munich is pretty to look at but very "square". Don´t like the people there. The Bavarians in the coutrieside are much nicer (rednecks but nice). Avoid Stuttgart. Claustrophobic and depressing. Only good thing about that area are the Porsche and Mercedes museums.

Good luck with getting a 1. Most rental company do not, will not guarantee a particular make or type of car, only a rental car class and you may end up with a Peugeot 308SW as an euqivalent of a 1 series. Which of course to anyone with an interest in driving could not be further...

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Excellent information Tierfreund, thanks. I drove the St Bernard pass on a Suzuki GT-380 when I was 20. Probably my best day on a vehicle to date. I emailed the company today with the hopes of reserving a 1 series. They also have Golf GTI and Mercedes A class, but I have my heart set on a 1. I have not payed them anything yet, so maybe that will help. As far as I know Sixt is the only airport place that has BMW 1 series.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got to the airport quite weary this morning. Got in line at Sixt to pick up my car, and the attendant noticed there was a note on my file asking for a BMW. She came back and said the 1 series was not available but would a 3 series wagon be good? Sure, I was considering buying one of those to replace the E46. It is brand new. 8km on it. 318d. Nice sunroof, GPS I can't operate because it is in German and What??? Snow tires? Bridgestone LM-22? I don't get it? I actually don't want it. After driving the car around trying to find my hotel with my Garmin telling me where to turn I have decided that the new 3 series is way too bloated , big and modern to be called a 3. I also noticed many cars riding on snow tires in July. WTF…this is Germany? Even Quebecers switch to all season's by July. These tires will be well worn if I go on a twisty road in Switzerland. I'd think at autobahn speeds in July these might get a bit hotter than Bridgestone would think appropriate. Will call Sixt when I figure out if my cell works.
First meal was Burritos…maybe not the best choice my stomach is telling me.
I don't know how I travelled around in the old days without a GPS. My mind is becoming Weak!!

Edit**

Just got off the phone with Sixt and they call them all season tires ….hmmm and also inform me that I am the first customer who has ever requested moving down market with a rental car. I think a 1 would be more fun.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This was waiting outside baggage claim when we arrived in Dusseldorf last year. I wanted to go ahead and have it for our trip:

IMG-20130609-00452.jpg