European Rear Fog light, again

Malc

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to turn a rear LHD rear "chrome" centre trim around so that I can mount the BMW flush rear fog light on the RHS of the car rather than the left. Us RHD drivers usually suffer from a bolt on type of one fitted which is tacky IMHO
The original boot rear panel had the RHS rear fog "hole" blanked off and the trim has no appature.
THanks
Malc

rear trim

The rear center trim piece is asymetrical, the upper contour is 1/2 inch wide and the lower contour is 3/4 inch wide, so you can not just flip it over even though the license plate holes are centered top to bottom. Sorry. I have an extra with the left fog light hole if anyone is interested.

panel

Malc, Send me an e-mail, it's in my profile. PM replies never leave my Outbox, I know others have had this problem and I don't know how to fix this.

Talked to my MOT guy today as I had put my 2002Tii in for a test (It passed :D )
We had a rummage through the UK Government's Ministry of Transport roadworthy certification hand book, there's a mouthfull!

The rear facing foglight....... blah... blah... blah...

Basically

1.. Shall be positioned between the centre line of the vehicle and the offside (In the UK the RHS) rear facing taillight.
2.. Shall be positioned no less than 100mm from the outermost rear facing normal tailight and or brakelight...

So basically the rear trim panel, which cannot be reversed, would need to be cut and trimmed to fit a fog light on the RHS. I think the best bet is for me to mount a rear fog light below the bumper in the middle.

Note that many new vehicles have two rear facing foglights built into the taillight clusters (BMW, Audi, Merc) However if they are er... cheap (Ford Vauxhall/GM etc) they simply swap the single reversing light and fog light from side to side depending on the market
And for the US market and other locations where they are not legal they substitute them for more "normal" tail lights.

OK, where's my Anorak?
Malc

Another Anorak fact - the not-so-cheap BMW Z8 has the one reverse / one fog light combo - so if you went this route, you would be in good company!

Tyler

At least Audi and also Volvo are now including rear fog lamps on their US models. It's easy to tell, because of the habit of many US drivers of leaving their fog lamps on 24/7/365.

:roll:

Malc are you really going to be driving in heavy fog?
I didn't bother with one for this reason and I prefer the cleaner un cluttered look. If your m.o.t. tester questions it just tell him back in those days they weren't mandatory they normally fall for it. :lol:

Gazzol,
Living on the NE coast of Scotland means one minute it can be a beautiful sunny day and the next the Haar (sea fog) rolls in. :roll:

I know the bucket is old enough not to need one, but the way er certain folk around here drive, I'd feel safer with one

Cheers
Malc

Malc,

Have you considered replacing the right hand back-up light with a red LED?

531121dfa875a36857f983ff9326f473.jpg
[/img]

Cunning plan Grommet!
I'll need to check the distance between the reversing light and the normal taillight as it cannot be too close.....
THanks
Malc

Haar
Local dialect for fog, derivation of the Norse/Norwegian word.....haar meaning fog :shock:

The NE Scottish dialect is tricky if your not used to it. It's called Doric and supposedly it's one of the oldest forms of English spoken in the world
Classics include

Loon - young son, young boy as used in "my wee loon starts school this year"
Quine - Young girl
Fitlike? - How are you?
and my favourite
I'll see you in the morn's morn - I'll see you tomorrow
Malc

Haar
Local dialect for fog, derivation of the Norse/Norwegian word.....haar meaning fog :shock:

The NE Scottish dialect is tricky if your not used to it. It's called Doric and supposedly it's one of the oldest forms of English spoken in the world
Classics include

Loon - young son, young boy as used in "my wee loon starts school this year"
Quine - Young girl
Fitlike? - How are you?
and my favourite
I'll see you in the morn's morn - I'll see you tomorrow
Malc

Veeery interesting. Thank you for enlightening me, I like hearing about that sort of thing. Think Doric has any relation to Welsh?

Nope, Welsh is a Celtic/gaelic language
Doric has it's roots in Scandinavian/Anglo-saxon hence it being a very old form of spoken english.
Malc

Back