exchangeable parts

Early or late E24? The E12-based E 24's (I think 77->early 82) had the side loaders, while the later ones, which were based on the E28, have front loaders.

If it is one of the early side loaders, it could very well be a 3.07 diff, which is very low for a 4 speed. Heck, it is pretty low for the 5 speed, although it would give very nice cruising. I have a 2.81 in my 540, (both cars have a .81 5th gear ratio) so at 80mph, it is at ~2500 RPM.

If you know the car it came from, you can look up the possible ratios at realoem.com.

Hello from New Zealand, my first post so I hope I can help
I'm presantly putting a side loader LSD from a E24 into my coupe, all was going well until we wanted to change the ratio.
We wanted to put the LSD unit from the E24 diff into a housing from a E9 that has 3.64 ratio.
All was good until we went to bolt on the crown wheel,the E9 diff has 8 bolts, E24 has 10 bolts, 2 of the bolts line up and the others we have filled with press in dowels and then spark eroded new holes in the correct position, should be all good.
We have to be a little inventive down here, parts for the coupes are not thick on the ground.
But to answer your question, yes a side loader E24 diff housing will bolt in

Loook forward to talking to you all later
:D

Back