Exhaust Fitment--OEM

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone else have issues getting new OEM BMW exhaust components to fit with adequate clearance? Purchased new OEM downpipes and center silencer for the 2800CS and the center silencer sits too close to the floorpan, not completely centered under the driveshaft. The rear muffler has lots of adjustment play, but there's little room for adjustment in the front. Understandably, it bangs the floor under rough roads. A dilemma to ponder .... Hans

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you use the correct 2800 (not 3.0) center muffler? Should be PN 18121245263.

I installed all new OEM components on my '76 3.0 Si and had zero issues; it all fit perfectly.

The hanging height of the center muffler is regulated only by the muffler hanging point in the rear, and in the front the gearbox hanger. Mine looks like below with an auto box. You have a hanger in place?

P1080125.JPG

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
I installed front muffler p/n 18121102836, which appears to correspond to the 2800CS. Problem seems to be the downpipes that locate said muffler too high and off to the side. The 18121245263 part you reference appears to correspond to an E3 2500 series, but please correct me if mistaken.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry my mistake. You posted on the E3 section so I incorrectly assumed you were referring to an E3.

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
My mistake posting in wrong forum; mods please delete thread as replicate was created in E9 subforum.