exhausted

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Coupeking is the only gig in town, at the moment, at least, on this side of the Atlantic. W&N also have a stainless system, but the shipping would be killer, as well as the exchange rate.

shanon

Reaction score
....or you might get lucky.

After getting frustrated exploring various options for my 2800 that fizzled out, I decided to talk to the local muffler shop to see what we could put together with modern bits.

I chatted with guy at the counter for a bit, described what I wanted, he said, "let me ask the owner, he knows about these old foreign cars".
The owner came down, looked at my project, heard my request, then said "let me check something". He's been in business for 35-40 years and turned out he was 'very familiar' with older BMWs..........would not of guessed by the older American restorations/rods about the small shop.

He came out of the attic with a mint condition stock E3/E9 center resonator, it had been in the rafters for years....waiting. We added/formed some new tubes and welded in a new high flow glass pack to replace the shot stock muffler.

They did a great job, I got some noticable ponies back, and it sounds great!! And I was out the door for a fraction of what I was fearing my exhaust project was gonna cost.

My 2 cents, if you live in area where there is a history/population of foriegn cars about from the 60s/70s......you never know what the older smaller shops may have stashed away in the rafters.... :wink:

...again, you might get lucky, I certainly did.

HTH,
-shanon
'70 2800cs (manipulated)

MichaelP

Reaction score
The exhaust system is still available from BMW, through either your local BMW parts desk or the usual parts suspects (Carl Nelson, Maximillian, etc). The rub is that the system cost for the 2800CS has gone sky high, while the 3.0CS system is far more reasonable:
2800CS system
3.0CS system

My guess is that Mobile Tradition is still manufacturing the 3.0CS cans and the 2800CS supply is dwindling. The good news is that although the 3.0CS tubing has a slightly larger diameter than that of the 2800CS, it bolts up to the downpipes just fine. When I did this to our 2800CS a number of years back, I could not tell the difference between the systems in terms of noise or performance. My walletometer showed did show gains.

One piece of the 3.0 system you don't really need is the 'middle muffler,' shown as item 7 in the 3.0 diagram. Your muffler shop can fabricate a pipe to fit in lieu of it.