Expedited expert help needed with 2800 sunroof

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am a rocket scientist, brain surgeon and philosopher rolled into one, I am such an idiot! I pulled the sunroof in the 2800 to do the headliner (which only took 12 hours) and now I have to get the sunroof back in. I assumed it would be the same as the 3.0 I have sitting next to it but noooooooooooo. Can anyone walk me through with some pictures of how all these pieces go back together? and the sunroof slides in :-(

Pretty Please!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is absolutely nuts! I am slowly figuring it out, the cables have lots of grease on them even after cleaning them off and I do not want the spooge on my nice white headliner (or "cream-colored" for you purists). I am still in need of help because I don't want to mess anything up but if I do get it together by me lonesome I will document it because this is quite a puzzle :)~ and if it works I'm going back to Medical School to become a neurosurgeon!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like I may be doing my own write up but this is a scary job with a new headliner and very little confidence. I still would appreciate any help available on the subject as it looks like there was quite a few variations of the rain trap installed over the years.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm thinking if we all, collectively, think positive thoughts, Peter can perform the miracle sunroof install, (without the medical degree he wishes he has), and live to tell us all about it. So...everyone, on ...one ...two...3...best of luck Peter We know you can do it! Mike :)

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think i am secretly happy now that my car doesn't have a sunroof...
Go Peter!

(Perhaps we can donate to DeQ so that he can buy a nice E9 collection covering all options and variants; I'm quite confident that he'll then solve all ridles of e9 history... [emoji4])

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G800F met Tapatalk

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, now that the sunroof is in, and I'll explain that one later- I need help with the windshield. My glass guy is MIA and car ships tomorrow... Help Please

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sunroof removal and installation:
There are different model sunroofs across the years, this is what I did to get the sunroof out, and this is for a 1971 2800 CS with a manual sunroof: the sunroof can come out without removing the headliner or headliner cover, crank the sunroof back all the way and remove the screws that contain the cables. The cables are filthy so cover the roof of the car. Once the pieces are removed around the cables and all the screws are out the left and right track will be lose. Pull the sunroof up and out towards the front of the car and you may want to cover the sunroof so it does not get scratched. At this point the tracks will still be in the roof but lose. Thoroughly clean the area and where the roof seams fold over make sure you use a brass brush to clean any rust (yes, there will be some rust there) and then use some rust-proofing stuff. Make sure the seams are not lose or they will eventually scratch the sunroof. special note, take pictures as you go along, although there is really only one way they go back, it helps in the confidence area. I did not take pictures because I'm an idiot. Clean the track pieces and the cables completely. Older cars have greased cables, newer cars use a fuzzy fabric-y looking cable that should NOT be greased. Once all the pieces are clean (and now is a good time to replace the front and rear seals and clean the drain tubes) you are ready for re assembly. On the older cars the headliner cover gets attached to the forward part of the sunroof and hangs lose in the rear (for now). The attaching points for the cables on the sunroof are lose so to put the cables back in the sunroof and keep them there what I did was remove the tracks that were laying inside the roof cavity and attach them while the sunroof was laying on top of the car. Again, watch where the cables touch because they are messy. Then slide the sunroof with the track back into the car carefully, the sides of the fabric cover should be slipped into the lower of the grooves on the tracks. Once everything is in tighten the screws and re-route the cables. This is really easy although it looks like a mess. With the sunroof all the way back you can now carefully grease the cables with a small paint brush and put the covers back on. Once the crank is in (and don't forget the small black clip)- you'll see it in the center that goes over the gear and cable, you are ready to move the roof forward. Move the sunroof back and forward just an inch at a time then two, then three, you get the idea.

Good luck and PM me if you need any immoral support, I hope this helps some people :)