Exterior trim finished

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've finished the exterior trim, lights, etc. The headliner has to go in before I put the front and back windshields in. I'm still trying to find a rear window seal. They are NLA, but somebody must have one someplace. GetBMW shows it as available, but they told me it wasn't when I ordered it.

IMG_4213.jpeg

IMG_4212.jpeg

IMG_4210.jpeg

IMG_4209.jpeg

The prior owner didn't like the belt line moldings and had the mounting holes welded up.

I have a good set of moldings and I could probably attach them with emblem tape if I decide to go that way. I'm going to have to think about it more. The early E3s without the molding look pretty good too.

I also noticed I goofed on the wheel color. At least the outside face needs to be an argent silver. Easy fix.

Next up is the dash replacement. Dreading that :(

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Were your wheel trim rings just in great condition or where did you source/how did you repair them? I have some, they're just bent up. Great looking car, great color!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sean,
That's pretty much how they came to me. I did polish them some with a fine Scotch Brite and worked out the worse dings. They still have some dings in them, but not bad for 45 years. The hubcaps and trim rings were a "must have" for me on this car. I think the stock hubcaps and trim rings are a signature part of the Bavarias. Maybe because I am old enough to remember how the cars looked new? o_O

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agree having the hubcaps/trim rings, l like the old school look - some day i'll work on making my rings more presentable, for now, just running the hubcaps.

alprada70

http://www.oilsdesigngroup.com/
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Dick, beautiful car!!!
I have the same car, 3.0S Bavaria, 1973
Im restoring the rear parcel shelf, do you have photos?

Alvaro

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Alvaro,
My original parcel shelf had the speaker holes cut into it and was somewhat warped by the heat/sun over time. I tried to restore it, but gave up and found a better used one. I think they would be somewhat tricky to reproduce. There are some odd ball shapes and curves where it meets the rear windshield.

I can send you pictures of the better one I found (it still needs some work). Let me know the pictures you are looking for.

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Great job Mr. Steinkamp. All those parts went together nicely and the dash looks great. "It takes a village of parts to raise a Bavaria".
BTW are you still waiting on the windshield seals? I still have the front and back if you need them.

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Sooner, I already have the correct front seal. Fred is checking the part number on the rear seal he has to see if it is the right one for my car.
Ok I went through the pics of the seals upon receipt in their factory storage bags. This is what i have:

51311828234 (e3 later model rear seal)
51311828248 (e3 late model front seal)

PM me if you have any questions.
Cheers
F