Fan help

e9coupeMA

Reaction score
Hi guys -

When I turn my key one click to turn on the electics, the small fan infront (grill side) of the radiator turns on and it's loud. It stays on when I drive and if I turn the car off it makes a loud sound when it slows down to stop...

I took the grilles off... etc. and inspected the fan and it's looks like it in decent shape.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to trouble shoot?

Are you referring to the AC fan that sits in front of your engine's radiator, or the squirrel cage fan that sits in front of the grill on the console? Either one implies your AC system is on. Loud fans generally are caused by bearing failure in the fan itself. Replacement is probably the best solution unless you really, really want to get into rebuilding the fan. A shot of lubricant might temporarily help, but if the bearings are gone, they're gone.

Are you referring to the AC fan that sits in front of your engine's radiator, or the squirrel cage fan that sits in front of the grill on the console? Either one implies your AC system is on. Loud fans generally are caused by bearing failure in the fan itself. Replacement is probably the best solution unless you really, really want to get into rebuilding the fan. A shot of lubricant might temporarily help, but if the bearings are gone, they're gone.

That fan is controlled by your A/C system. If the A/C blower switch is off, the cooling fan should not run. If it does the relay for the fan probably failed and it's getting power when it shouldn't.

For the noise, are you sure it isn't hitting something when it spins? If not, then it sounds like the bearings in the motor are probably going bye-bye. Unless you're a stickler for originality, I'd replace it with a more modern fan, they're quieter and more efficient.

Interesting, I have no AC, but still have the fan and on hot day last summer it even came on. It must be connected by some water temp sensor, but I do not even see the fan in the electrical diagrams.

Back