Fan Shroud

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I noticed a fan shroud (part# 17111115083) on auction at Ebay. My coupe does not have a shroud and the E3 I had never had one. I cross checked the part number and it appears that one is called out for both cars. Does anyone know the history on using shrouds? Was it a tropical option or is it that mine was conveniently ripped out by someone in the past?

My E3 alway ran hot from day one. I put in lower temp thermostats, changed coolant weekly, changed temperature senders, and I even tried jamming the fan clutch to make it engage all the time. Nothing ever worked so I learned to ignore it. My E9 seems to be fine. It does have a low temp thermostat and a 9 blade fan (vice standard 5 blade) and a different style clutch. Now I'm wondering if I should pick up a shroud just to be safe...

JJ
For what it's worth I have never seen one on an E9. 2002's never seem to have them and never seen one on an e28 either.
Maybe it was certain markets only, somebody should know :wink:
Malc

My '70 2800 (Vienna delivery) had one. Don't know if it was stock or added by some PO. I took it out recently when I removed my fan altogether...........OPERATION: Arctic Wind.

Had my stock radiator recored with a high-flow, 3 core set-up. The guy at the radiator shop recognized the stock radiator immediataley by calling it a 'one of the ol' Head Crackers'...... I recommend you get your radiator flow/pressure tested! I flushed mine several times, looked to be in great shape. The guy tested it and said it was only working at 20% capacity ........... :shock:

I added a Psyclone 2500cfm aux. fan (Summit catalog) in front of radiator running on a toggle switch. You have to get the relay too.

The re-cored radiator works great, if anything I'm too cold now. Only need the fan when stuck in traffic. Sat in traffic for 1 1/2hrs yesterday trying to cross the Bay Bridge, temp stayed at 170-180 deg. w/ the fan on.

I your interested in my shroud, send me a PM, I don't need it.

HTH
-shanon

Thanks for the info. I suspect my old E3/3.0bav (also Vienna Delivery!) had one of the "ole head crackers" in it because it did, twice. I did have it cored once but it didn't really help. I just figured that the German engineers never had to drive in Arizona or anywhere similar.

So far I don't have much "hot" time on my E9 yet but I was concerned due to my prior E3 experience. It appears I don't have a problem but that's exactly when they tend to occur. Anyway, if I see the first hint of a problem I would be more inclined to try something like an external electric fan as suggested with a thermostatic switch / relay setup. The shroud I saw just had me wondering... I'd never seen one before yet it is a legitimate part.

Back