Feeler: G265 5spd - Full Swap

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in purchasing a full 5spd swap (trans, slave, driveshaft, rods, crossmember, etc.) It's from an '81 633 csi. This is an e12 based model, and all the parts are the same as the 528i referenced in Carl's write-up. I have everything, and can even include the flywheel and e24 pedal box (which would require mods, or you could buy chris's modded pedals - see below).

This is a Feeler ad. I'm not looking to host an auction. If/When I have the parts, I will post them with a price. I would like to know what the going rate for such a setup is. You are welcome to respond to this thread or shoot me a PM. This is a high mileage car, around 275K. The trans works fine, and I can include a video of me driving/shifting.

Lastly, this may not happen, so don't put to much thought into it. :)

Chris's Pedals FS
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19159

This is a great thread on swapping an E12-based E24 5spd into an E12. Some great info in this thread, particularly about the quick modification of a late G265 to work with the manual cable!!!
http://www.firstfives.org/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1075

Speedometers

In case you're wondering why you can't just use that perfect low mileage tranny out of that nice 535is somebody rearended, the speedometer is the reason. Only the 265 trannys have any provision for a speedometer drive. Later cars all used electronic speedometers that took an input from the differential. As did all 7 series cars. But not all G265's are fully set up for a speedo drive, but they can be. Only the E12 and early E24 trannys will actually have the full speedo drive in place. This gets a little complicated, so bear with me here. There are two parts to the speedo drive, one is towards the end of the tranny, just under the drive flange, the other slips in where you hook up the speedo cable. "Most" seem to have the drive gear that goes under the output flange, but not all. Some just have a spacer in there. But don't worry, it's not that bad. Pull the drive flange, I believe it's a 30MM deep socket, it doesn't have to be thin wall like the manuals say, it just can't be heavy thick wall, like an impact socket. Or if that's all you can find, grind down the impact socket and it will work. It's about 100 foot pounds, so it's not loose, but nothing like the crankshaft nut either. It's got a lockplate on there, which you can reuse, or just use red locktite and torque it down. And a drive gear from a 4 speed works, so if you have one you can use it. Same thing with the part of the drive that directly drives the speedo cable, it's the same part as the 4 speed. And it isn't even locked or bolted in place, it just slides in and out of there. However... it isn't quite that easy just due to the stiction of the oil and the "O" ring seal. You can kind of grab them with a pair of needle nose pliers, but not real well. The removable drive is actually 2 pieces, but it's always come out together for me, if not, just use the needle nose and grab the other part. When installing it, it should just push in. Oh, the "O" ring might be a little stiff, so lube it up, but don't force things, if you have to it's not aligned and you will break something.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Crickets!

Is anyone interested in this? It may make or break my decision to acquire a parts car.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You need longer feelers...

sounds creepy!

I suppose so, buy there were nearly 150 page views when I replied. Admittedly, I'm used to forums with more traffic. Some forums you need to bump daily just to keep something on page 1.

nobrakese28

Reaction score
Hi Markos,

Post a price that will really help get some interest in your package.

-Marco

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't kill the messenger....

The driveshaft doesn't fit...

The slave should be replaced...

A tranny with 275k is beyond its lifespan..

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey no worries Don. I love how every fs post on this forum is a discussion. It feels so quaint. :D

If you can name the 5spd donor car that *doesn't require a driveshaft shortening I will buy you a beer. If you can name any major city that doesn't have a shop capable of this commonplace modification I'll get the next round as well.

The value is in the bell housing, which is a non-wearable part. While I agree about the slave, any respectable donor car is still about 35 years old and refreshes are inevitable. One may decide to run these used parts anyway, knowing that it will take another 5+ years to hit 300k on the equipment, or use them as cores.

I highly suggest those interested read the comments above about swapping the manual speedo cable parts. This is a game changer with respect to sourcing a 265, and I haven't read anything about it here.

Anyway, this is all good fodder, but I haven't acquired the e24 yet, and I'm not sure if I want to deal with two broken coupes right now.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has converted the speedometer to run electronically? Seems to me that would open up some new choices. I might be interested in a CR gearbox one day, but I see no need for an overdrive as 80MPH is the sweet spot on a 4 speed.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
The long and winding road

Just wondering if anyone has converted the speedometer to run electronically? Seems to me that would open up some new choices. I might be interested in a CR gearbox one day, but I see no need for an overdrive as 80MPH is the sweet spot on a 4 speed.

While there are firms that will convert mechanical speedos to electronic, it isn't cheap at $350 and the odometer will be a digital one. Not the look I want. A electrical signal must be provided from a newer differential or other means. More on that in a moment.

Abbott Enterprises speedometer company in Pine Bluff, AR that has another solution. They have a device called Cable X that takes an electronic signal speed input and has a motor to drive the speedometer. They provide a 3' cable to fit your speedo and they recommend the Cable X box live under the hood with the cable as straight as possible.
If you have a newer differential, that signal can be used and the box can be calibrated for true speeds. If you don't have a newer differential, a Hall Effect sensor can be placed near the drive shaft and four magnets attached to the shaft to provide RPM signals to the Cable X box. Another alternative is a GPS box that will sense your speed and deliver a speed signal to the Cable X. It must have a view of the sky to work, I don't know if there is enough opening in the metal of the E9 dash to allow it to be under the dash and still get a good lock through the plastic. Of course, it would stop working in long tunnels.

The Cable X is $340, Magnet Hall Effect sensor is $125 and the GPS is $225. So it's not cheap, but it would open up some other transmissions for use as the available pool of good '81 and older 5 speed transmissions gets smaller and smaller. Of course, some later transmission can take the speedo drive so that helps, but that seem difficult to determine, most sellers don't know if that's possible.

Abbott Enterprises
901 West 4th Ave.
Pine Bluff, AR. 71601 USA
http://www.abbott-tach.com/

TOLL FREE: 1-800-643-5973 Phone: 870.535.4973 E-mail: [email protected]

Ian
1970 2800CS Chamonix waiting restoration in Austin

2005 X3 DD
1996 Z3 still living in the land of Aloha

Last edited: