Feeling cranky, can anyone help

pj

Reaction score
Hey Guys ,
I need a new/used crank anyone localish got one hanging around , a stroker would be nice?

Cheers
PJ

x_atlas0

Reaction score
How the heck did you kill a M30 crank? They are good for more than 600hp!

Or was this more of an oil supply issue...

pj

Reaction score
I would have to vote on the oil supply issue, I hadn't driven her in a couple of months and noticed a rattle, Took her to the shop and got the good news that I f***ed up the unbreakable part of the engine.Yes I am a muppet.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The shop may be trying to take you for a ride. Even if it is an oil supply issue, that would burn out your crank journal bearings, not the crank itself. Ditto for the rods. You can buy a set of crank journal bearings for ~100$, but of course the main problem there is installing them, not an easy feat.

Since you already have a non-original engine, it may just be cheaper to swap in another bottom end or short block directly, since then you wouldn't have to worry about improper installation, huge labor rates, that sort of thing.

If you decide to get the crank, tough, there's a few on ebay for ~100-150$, plus the bearing set for another 100-200$. Considering you can get an entirely different engine for 500$, and I'd wager the labor rates are more than a tad cheaper on an engine swap, that may be the more economical solution.

CookeD

Reaction score
A rattle at startup for a few seconds, or a rattle all the time?

If the car sits for some time, the oil pump may be draining / not holding its prime, and your rattle would be caused by the oil pump re-filling and moving oil to the bearings at startup.

A rattle all the time is a different story.

Like X_Atlas is saying, it's fairly difficult to kill the bottom end of an M30.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
PJ,

I've got a polished 3.0 crank sitting in my spare room, no kidding. You can pick it up with the PS pump you were going to get from me.

372411cd0b8eeb3524962be2184626e5.jpg

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Based on your sig, you are using a 3.2L M30. A 3L M30 has a different stroke. This means your existing piston/rod combo won't work correctly, they will be too short when used with the 3L crank.

pj

Reaction score
Well thanks to all the members who gave me steller advice, I picked up a 3.5 block today , the old girl will be back on the road on thursday ,hopefully.
Thanks David & DP for the offers, Terry and Atlas for the advice