Fender Lower Gasket Replacement

dspoljaric

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello all - while cleaning my e9 last weekend, I noticed a rubber gasket I never noticed before at the bottom of each front fender, and serves as a "seal" between the fender and the lower valence.

I went to RealOEM and found the part number (51-13-1-827-359) and ordered it from Maximillian. When it arrived the other day, the gasket came in a long strip. Today I cut a section to replace the previous version, and immediately noticed how lose the fitment was in the gap.

e9 fender trim-1c.jpg
e9 fender trim-2c.jpg

Anyone have any experience with replacing this gasket?

Thanks

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...-1972-E9-BMW-30CSi&diagId=51_3430#51131827359

You will need to remove or loosen the rocker cover so that you can slide the gasket On to the edge of the rocker. A little glue won't hurt either.

The fitment of the weatherstripping around the rocker cover is a critical detail that many coupe owners neglect, I'm not sure how well they even fit from the factory but there is a stud on the rocker panel that often rots out and lets the cover pop away a little. The rocker cover is easy to remove and makes a nice little project; not only can you freshen up the cover and the chrome strip and gasket but you can clean any dirt behind there that can cause rust. The cover is also very forgiving so if your stud is gone you can apply a little pressure to the area in question (bend it a tiny bit) and that will help keep the seal close. Also, as Mike mentioned there really should be a little glue on there to hold it in place (on the rocker side- not the paint side).

Good luck, and you'll probably need to test fit it, but you'll have to attach both bottom and top when test-fitting as putting in the bottom screws sometimes pulls the top away-

Back