Fill up problems

drccm1122

Reaction score
I've only owned my coupe for a couple of months and can't get the gas to flow into the tank when filling up. It will take about a quart then the pump clicks off, add another quart, add another quart. etc. What's wrong?

I assume you've tried other stations? This could be an overly sensitive pump... Aside from that there's not much to go wrong. The filler has a straight shot to the tank. Most pumps will shut off when they sense the slightest back pressure or fuel splash back. As such, the first thing I would recommend would be to check the filler tube / tank for obstructions (plastic bags, hose, etc.). You should be able to look into the filler from the outside with a flashlight (not a lighter like in the urban legends). If this doesn't work is it pretty easy to pull the filler tube from the tank for a more serious inspection. You must remove the trunk floor to access the filler tube (simple hose clamps hold it in place) you can also inspect the tank as well by pulling the fuel sender but be careful because they have a simple O-ring seal that often doesn't seal well the second time if kinked. The sender unit requires a small counter clockwise turn and then comes straight out. Disconnecting the battery beforehand is generally good advice.

In my short stint as a mechanic (school days) I found the oddest things in gas tanks (moth balls, condoms, plastic bags, steel balls, rocks, tubing and the like). It seems stuffing gas tanks was a preoccupation with Tennessee juvenile delinquents and our fine coupes came from an era when locking fuel doors / caps were rare.

Back