Finally fixed! It's fixed, it's fixed it's fixed!

corsachili

Reaction score
My CSL runs like a champ. The long and winding road of discovery of the problems with my car's stumbling and poor idle has come to an end. Thanks to all of you for enduring my constant whinging and complaining and thanks for all your help. Special thanks to Andrey, Devinder, Terry and Scott Andrews.

The problem went through several life cycles and the initial problem with the balky/stumble at speed (which first reared its head last year when I first got the the car on the road) was probably the TPS which has been replaced and now properly adjusted.

It's been a Coupe-alicious weekend. This morning Terry came over and we finished the work on his car (for the time being anyhow) by removing the engine, putting it in the bed of his truck and rolling the car out of the garage. Stage one is complete, and now it's up to him to strip the car and prep it for paint.

We then went back to his place, picked up the CSL and drove it by Scott Andrews' place where he promptly put a scope on it, and found the funky running at idle (and which was also causing a secondary intermittent stumble at speed) was due to a bad voltage regulator in my brand new rebuilt alternator. I JUST had it rebuilt a few months (and less than 500 miles ago) before I stopped driving the car to do all the recent work on it. When I had the alternator rebuilt I had it upgraded to the internal voltage regulator as on later BMWs. We swapped out the regulator with a spare one of that Terry had and it transformed the car. The idle is as steady as D-Jet gets, and the car runs beautifully now. Terry and I spent the afternoon terrorizing local neighborhoods and boroughs with the screaming song of the six beneath the aluminum hood of my CSL.

I am obviously stoked.

Thanks again to everyone. Now on to the next project.

Been all over the M30/M90, but I've ever seen that one before...

I wish all problems were so easy to find!

And, for anyone who has not seen it in person, TJ's car is absolutley gorgeous!

Cheers.
S

hey, that's cool! I actually prefer the problems that I can diagnose with an oscilloscope to stuff that is too mechanical for me to fully comprehend :)

well, enjoy not worrying so much about that car now...

Back