finally getting started

psychrunner

Reaction score
The restoration shop is about ready to start the restoration of my e9 csi (1972). I would like some guidance from the wealth of knowledgeable folks on this site to make as sure as possible that it is done properly. The site already has given guidance on the suspension. I will order Bilstein's, etc. from Carl Nelson. The car supposedly has only 65k miles. What might I want to replace in the engine to ensure reliability and optimum performance? water pump, fuel pump,? What else?
Any suggestions apprecieated that I can pass along to the shop.
Thanks
psychrunner

Honolulu

Reaction score
some few suggestions

The car as designed and built is pretty reliable mechanically. I would not replace anything that wasn't misbehaving, without good and solid, immediate need.

It's the body that gives us our pride and headaches. Like a woman...?

I won't here go into the places that coupes can rust, only offer the hope that you have lotsa money.

Body resto may/not to be bare metal and respray. I'm undecided whether primer and paint improvements currently available exceed the thoroughness of the factory paint, unless the paint has failed down to metal or rust has come through.

If you're putting on stiffer shocks, know that rear towers on some cars have been known to pop through...

x_atlas0

Reaction score
When I did my mechanical work, I replaced the :
fuel pump
fuel filter
water pump
oil pump
timing chain
timing chain guides
timing chain tensioner
head bolts
head gasket
all engine seals
pilot bearing
... which means about the only things left are the pistons, rings, and valves. The cam was in pretty good shape.

An important thing to do, if you are uncertain of the engine's past experiences, is to adjust the valves. Makes it run much better, and needs to be done very 15k miles.

psychrunner

Reaction score
body issues

Honolulu,
Yes, I hope not to run into too much outlay of cash for the body work, The shop has already performed a preliminary of the car, and believe they will not have to go down to bare metal on most of it as the rust is seemingly (yea right) minimal and the paint is very good (Polaris). They indicated they could more than likely repair the rusted areas and "blend" in the paint. I do want it done "right" though. There are a few "wavy" areas on the sides (doors and quarter panels) that are noticeable only when looking from a certain angle which I want repaired. They tthought this would require a bare metal procedure there (is it possible to do only bare metal of certain spots, and not others?) Thanks for the info. Any other thoughts appreciated.
Randy

psychrunner

Reaction score
mechanical

Thanks x-atlas for the info on mechanical. I thought I would replace most of this. Had not thought to ask them to check timing belt (or is it a chain I assume?) The valve tune is also a good suggestion, I'll let them know if they hadn't planned on it.
Thanks
Randy