Finally Have a '72 3.0 CSi Malaga/Black

fl0950

Reaction score
I'm a new member of this great forum, so here's my story. In 1972 I had read about the 3.0 CS and Porsche's 911. After going to see a new 911T, I went to Milwaukee's sole BMW dealer and they had a new Malaga/Tan 3.0 CS. The Porsche was $8400, and the BMW was over $12k, a huge difference at the time. Too much of a reach for me at that time, so I bought the 911. Over the years, I've always admired the 3.0 CS, feeling that at some time I would find the right coupe. I've been following Oldenzaal Classics for some time, and when they displayed a '72 3.0 CSi in Malaga, I decided to buy it and ship it home. The car had an extensive history originally in Italy, then Germany, with very detailed records. It was highly original, no body work, original paint and engine. It took about 3 months to arrive, and I couldn't be happier with the experience. When I first drove the car, it immediately brought back memories of driving my friend's '72 E3 back then, a white/blue Bavaria with a 4 speed. The turbine like sound and feel of the engine, the precision of the 4 speed; kind of incredible that I even remembered that. On my E9, everything works, all the lights, the clock, the warning lights in the dash, full tool kit and even AC. The car was shown with Alpina wheels, but I asked that the original wheels be refinished and installed, as I preferred the car's classic appearance. So a dream come true after all these years. One last thing: I have little mechanical aptitude so I needed to be sure there was a local BMW shop that was very familiar with these cars, and fortunately there is, just 15 minutes away (shout out to Kummrow Motors). So, unlike many on this site who work on and restore their cars, I took the easy route with a car that already had been extensively restored. Thanks again for all the great knowledge on this forum.
L1000193-4.jpg
L1000192-4.jpg
L1000194-4.jpg
L1000196-4.jpg
L1000195-4.jpg
L1000197-4.jpg
L1000198-4.jpg

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats on completing your long journey. Welcome to a fine community of E9 enthusiasts. Enjoy every drive.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful car. Congrads. There are many who fell in love with the E9 when it first came out and waited all these years to be able to afford and buy one.

Somehow I wanted to superimpose the cast of "That 70's Show" bouncing in the front seat of your E9 (as I caught the Wisconsin plates).

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Your car is beautiful.

Glad to hear Kummrow is still out there. I had them fix the dreaded valley pan coolant leak on my e39 while I was visiting WI fifteen years ago. First time anyone else had worked on that car. They did a great job.

Cheers,

Chris

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey there, I just did a better job of reading your initial post and see that you are in Wisconsin - not far from me or some other forum members. I'm down in Bay View. Hope to see you at a local event. And if you ever need a hand with anything, don't hesitate to reach out. I also know Pat Kummrow and am glad you found his shop.
Stephen

fl0950

Reaction score
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for reaching out. What's the best way to learn about local events. I'm not in the loop yet but would love to attend. I'm in River Hills and we go to dinner in Bay View all the time.

Larry

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for reaching out. What's the best way to learn about local events. I'm not in the loop yet but would love to attend. I'm in River Hills and we go to dinner in Bay View all the time.

Larry
I'm not sure I'm in the loop either - ha ha, but I'll send you a private message and share some of the things I know of.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a new member of this great forum, so here's my story. In 1972 I had read about the 3.0 CS and Porsche's 911. After going to see a new 911T, I went to Milwaukee's sole BMW dealer and they had a new Malaga/Tan 3.0 CS. The Porsche was $8400, and the BMW was over $12k, a huge difference at the time. Too much of a reach for me at that time, so I bought the 911. Over the years, I've always admired the 3.0 CS, feeling that at some time I would find the right coupe. I've been following Oldenzaal Classics for some time, and when they displayed a '72 3.0 CSi in Malaga, I decided to buy it and ship it home. The car had an extensive history originally in Italy, then Germany, with very detailed records. It was highly original, no body work, original paint and engine. It took about 3 months to arrive, and I couldn't be happier with the experience. When I first drove the car, it immediately brought back memories of driving my friend's '72 E3 back then, a white/blue Bavaria with a 4 speed. The turbine like sound and feel of the engine, the precision of the 4 speed; kind of incredible that I even remembered that. On my E9, everything works, all the lights, the clock, the warning lights in the dash, full tool kit and even AC. The car was shown with Alpina wheels, but I asked that the original wheels be refinished and installed, as I preferred the car's classic appearance. So a dream come true after all these years. One last thing: I have little mechanical aptitude so I needed to be sure there was a local BMW shop that was very familiar with these cars, and fortunately there is, just 15 minutes away (shout out to Kummrow Motors). So, unlike many on this site who work on and restore their cars, I took the easy route with a car that already had been extensively restored. Thanks again for all the great knowledge on this forum. View attachment 182894View attachment 182895View attachment 182896View attachment 182897View attachment 182898View attachment 182899View attachment 182900

nice car interior
and very nice story

wish you enjoy the car

i find very interesting some details that come from your story, if you do not mind i would like to know more;

so if you were in the position to buy one 911 in 1972, you were in your twenties ?
it is fascinating to know about prices back then

but i can not imagine how much money was 10.000 USD

could you please tell us references to usual goods

i.e.
- a bicycle
- a coke
- lunch at a restaurant
- an apartment
- a rolex watch
- a shirt
- ?

John-T

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice little story, and a beautiful car!
One thing that I can tell you, you won't find a more helpful / knowledgeable / interesting group of people anywhere else.

Congratulations and enjoy it.

John

lip277

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to crazyville. :)
Wonderful looking car. Great story about your journey.
For the record, so you know - your clock will soon be the 'not working' thing in your car. LOL Just wanted you to know that. LOL
And that was part of the reason I removed my clock and installed a gauge set (based on the fuel and temp we have already) but for volts and oil pressure.

Who needs to be home on time anyway... Right? LOL

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
The car looks great. With air! BTW, a CSI is BMW's 911S. Enjoy that car!

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the story, and welcome! Midwest is getting more and more owners! There are a few of us on the other side of the pond (lake Michigan).

Unbelievable about the difference in cost to a 911, that explains why I didn't see them growing up.

fl0950

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice replies.

Lip277, yes the clock works, but it's a bit slow, losing a few minutes each day. No big deal, I'll see how long it keeps working!
deQuincey: I still have my original receipt for my first 911, and yes, I was 20 when I bought it. At that time a new Corvette was $5200, so a Porsche at $8k+ was a pretty big jump. When I bought the 911, I (foolishly) traded in my '72 2002 tii, which cost $4,200 new. As to the price of other goods, that's tough, as I don't recall. However, after 1972 the dollar depreciated over the ensuing years by about 1/3 so prices of German cars in particular rose quickly throughout the 1970's. A new 911SC in 1978 had risen to over $20k. When I bought my Tii, I convinced a friend to buy a new E3, which was just over $6k (vs $4k for the Tii). I had test driven both cars, but felt the extra $2k for the Bavaria was too much to spend at the time (!).

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the clock works, but it's a bit slow, losing a few minutes each day
Perfect, better than gaining, so each time you drive it you can advance it to proper time as part of the pre-flight routine. Mine is similar.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm in the loop either - ha ha, but I'll send you a private message and share some of the things I know of.
Larry - you need to convince Stephen to make an event of touring his garage. He did an entire thread here of the garage itself: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/raven-gets-a-new-nest.32644/post-268201. And you can see the really excellent metal work he is doing in detail: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/post-205295

fl0950

Reaction score
Chris, thanks for the links Wow, he's an artist. I suggested to Stephen we meet at his place or mine as we're about 15 miles apart. Hopefully we can make that work. Very cool garage too. Love your white CSi.