Firewall and bonnet insulation

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
W&N has the upper piece along the top of the fire wall. It was a bit over 100 €. BMW MobileTradition has one of the lower pieces (over the transmission arch). I think I will use a dynamat like product for everything below the top piece. The original insulation appeared to have some sort of patterned metal layer on the exhaust side.

m_thompson

Reaction score
It looks like the hood insulation is available from your local dealer.

SOUND ABSORBER SET 1 12/1968 11/1975 51481811883 $110.56

I think that this is the upper firewall insulation.

Sound insulation 1 51481810724 $270.65

Mine came kind of a grey/tan color. I painted it black with vinyl bumper paint.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The lower firewall material is NLA unless someone knows where to get it. It is metal backed with a foam covering.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
On my e12 635, the fire wall insulation was not available. Made my own by first making a paper template and then cutting a bottom layer from 3/8" dense cell foam which I glued to the firewall with hi grade contact cement. I then cut the top layer from 3/16" neoprene and
laminated it to the dense cell foam. About $60 worth of material, and if I didn't let anyone know, I doubt they would know the difference. I did the interior of my firewall the same way, and also fixed the floor padding, by splicing into what remained, in decent condition, of the original padding

pamp

Reaction score
Insulation

I came up with Dynaliner material at a good price...$48 for 1/4'' and $54 for 1/2'' 32'' X 54'' sheets. I will template and use the 1/4'' for the bonnet and 1/2'' for the upper firewall. Pop rivet the clips back for the upper. My lower insulation seems in OK shape. I am working on an "in place" engine compartment detail at present. Lot of work. Problem being that as you improve parts appearance the rest looks like crap. So on and on...
I am a fan of the Dynaliner material, used extensively on the interior re-hab...what a difference in noise reduction! A good tip on the vinyl bumper paint as this quite nicely hides the "Dynaliner" logo. No concourse queen is "Siena" so I feel free to do as I like without cranking the budget. The wheel and tire project is on a roll as well...BBS gold 16 X 7 which
the wheel shop is on the restoration. Thanks to Peter at Hofmann Racing for supplying the parts (lips-polished) to convert to 16 X 8 for the rears as well as some fine looking low profile hex nuts and gold hardware to make a good finish. Some big $$$ spent on this part of the resto but if the end justifies the means...