firewall part

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
I came across this while removing the carpet on my 3.0cs to assess the rust on the floors. Does anyone know what it is or what it's used for? I took it out of the passenger side against the firewall.
lala 1.jpg

I'll take it:cool:
Its a contour backing piece for the carpets. Original part

IT GOES ON THE RIGHT FRONT CORNER INSIDE UNDER THE CARPET IT FORMS THE CORNER WHERE YOUR RIGHT FOOT GOES
THERE IS ALSO ONE ON THE LEFT CORNER FOR THE LEFT FOOT

It's a rigid Polyurethane foam piece. Mine was broken in 2 pieces, but it's easiliy fixed with a steel rod pushed into both bits and some expanding type PU foam used in building isolation to glue the pieces together.

Old post but I just pulled this foam form the passenger side which is in 4 large parts. It seems simple enough to put back together but I cannot think of an optimal adhesive so thoughts are appreciated.

Hello Stevehose
Mine was the same way and used gorilla glue, the light brown one,it turns in to foam, then i just trim the excess
Cheers Victor

As written above; these blocks are made of rigid polyurethane foam. And that happens to glue fantasticly to itself.
You can just buy a spray can of this self expanding type PU foam used for building isolation. Reinforce it with 2 pieces of (stainless) steel pin, rod or wire 2 or 3 mm thick to prevent future breakage. It also provides for easy location during the actual glueing and hardening.
Locate the steel pin during a dry assembly, seperate, spray both sides, slide over steel pin and press together. Tape or tie a wire around it to prevent the foam from expanding and pushing the 2 pieces apart.
Let cure for a day. Trim exess foam that bulges out a day later with a metal toothed saw blade.

easy DIY task. Wear gloves as PU foam sticks to skin like no other.

Thanks all. I have the idea...and yes I have had my hands covered with that stuff...but you only do that once.

Back