Fjord S14 Swapped 2002 on BaT

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, i would love to have this one. the bottom of the s14 is the same size as the m10. the head + injection / intake takes up a lot of room.

shermanmartinez

Reaction score
Just as I suspected, the owner did the conversion but did not go to the BAR to get the car smog certified. CA residents look elsewhere. Lol

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm waiting for some data on compression / leak down before i bid more. very nice build. could you imagine this car with the evo 3 engine upgrades (2.5L with a hotter cam)

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
i'm waiting for some data on compression / leak down before i bid more. very nice build. could you imagine this car with the evo 3 engine upgrades (2.5L with a hotter cam)

I'm super excited that you might bid on this car! I wish I could but our remodel has been expensive. I really like the car, it reminds of the one I restored/built a few years ago. Kind of a 'mini me' to my coupe.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have already bid on the car ... 23,002 ready to make another bid when / if there is data. i have been following 2 other cars - one that didn't clear reserves a silver alpina c1 in europe and a white 323i/alpina c1? very hesitant about the white one as there is no information on the alpina documentation ... especially on the verification that it has an alpina engine. its also an automatic (in a vintage alpina???)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
having just read the compression numbers on this engine 140 psi to 145 psi ... this seems way off. this engine was originally a 10.8:1 compression ratio. i would have thought the numbers would have been around 190 in each cylinder. don't think i will be bidding any further. the driving video looks relatively impressive except the jumping speedo.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
New comment on the BaT auction site saying these numbers are in the correct range and commending the engine builder. The beat goes on.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Christopher Langsten (VSR) offers a good comment - slightly lower than expected - but dead even. he also comments that the battery used or external charger could vary the results a bit. JimmyP (a well respected member of the e30m3 sig) echoed the comments. there seems to be a big difference in the m30 and the s14 - our friend @sfdon has talked about identifying different versions of the m30 with the compression readings - especially the CSi engine and the euro b34.

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t consider rings be seated fully seated until 4000 miles.
Check #3 for evidence of that.
Were the valves adjusted before the test?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
no data was given on how the test was done. they also did a leakdown which did vary from 4% to 11% - the highest leak was in 3. the lowest compression was in 3 - 140, the others were all 145. the s14 has relatively good cams but no indication of what was put into it during a rebuild.

CamayroZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stock S14 compression stated by BMW is 180. All the numbers on a healthy stock engine that I have seen are ~190'sh +/-. The numbers on this car feel like throttle was left closed, or at least I have always seen ~145 when someone does that. I have no clue if this engine is healthy or not, but it should not be at 145. Was the car battery that low that it cranked so slow even with the spark plugs out to produce such numbers, and this shop did not put a booster on? Hmmm....

PS1: I currently own my '88M3 since '88 and owned a second track car which I wrecked at PIR.
PS2: JimmyP is a good guy and friend.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
those are the kind of numbers i was expecting - above 180. i owned an '88 m3 for 6 or 7 years - after i sold my last 1976 2002. my 2002 had compression numbers between 180 and 190 ... it was a 10.5:1 engine