Flag mirror disassembly?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys; the mirror frame portion of my flag mirror has a little bit of up and down play relative to the stem that supports it. Is there a fastener in there that can be tightened? The mirror would have to come out which likely means a replacement seal which is nowhere to be found although other manufacturers make period mirror seals that may fit.

Has anyone done this? I seem to remember DQ writing about this at some point but can't find anything.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes there is a bolt that I think can be tightened. See pic. Also check the tightness of the 2 screws that hold the mounting bar to the door. Jaymic has seals:

P3vZ-0nSCgj1BqGrxn3Z9a1bAJ4kxi42kpgan2LE77t6GsujTY7rydzBVdZiJiO2Al8XCer_mXMQ22jsnzsJARkNV0lh20TFOGhRoqyv1XQOAfZIKsVej88VkcEbBkPK1K3MGZJR3a_zWXfBuvb1Wi3kJQ0G7AgMA33iK2nzJvgQq3pg0AMu3GDsELgRVVGOBQGhUeTxWLIi0INWDsAGZmIZqyEB9QHwWVIU9j4nkr2c_mKYTuBIvo3SFEVc-JGH7FFuMrYBfpiyZTvtaerA3y1ucFXm2tl8VS78vXWLLUzFq2vXIEt_utLoBKaFcgowrdznjCk9et02vs4bNfeumBHYBPgpyI0ssg9kQW5Pl15tEGC7N4t7-beR8uEQUF6Cq4bGqMz-u-r7BvbACH63kc7J9nrfCe0NX0Vh-j-QpQiC-O9YMQ2LdvKqMDbOSeuPY-3LrQ0tspuscR_CR8cexFjzrLMBXrmgy6_Az8fAB13GVrgjOcsRndd56uCZtCu9A5Nc3qRNEKMz79KiFjpmYFG3fCqPFM2DTgMjGxPbTu2IXVpqi56s6LfFKnIt-9_P4SwLQkDOIUC5tlq-xBhMPZSrO-AZL570gJB5f6XyifsrLhwa1q3pPZGcshHDXuX0h690Hly9sk3JPcC3plL648nxNxZw-7OI0liGMwRJ3FIH1DWo0EtJyQ=w586-h781-no

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Steve; So that big bolt I see going into the stem is what holds the “flag” itself to the stem/flagpole? Seem unintuitive that it can do that from that position.

My base is tight and firm against the door sheet metal. Not familiar w those nuts; what wrench do you use?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Jaymic seals are for the base. I was wondering about the seal around the mirror glass. But only because I thought I’d have to pop it out to access a bolt to tighten it.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I may try to extricate it if it’s not too crispy.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yes you can bmw actually sells the seal new
also there is a half round donut inside thats sets the mirror from moving around
maybe yours is missing and a spring
IMG_1632.JPG

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I replaced the seal around the mirror having the same issue as above, I believe I purchased the plastic seal from Maximilian importers. I need the riv-nits that hold the mirror to the door if there are any suggestions?

Attachments

• Mirror retainer.jpg
    Mirror retainer.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Mount holes 1.jpg
    Mount holes 1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 88

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes you can bmw actually sells the seal new
also there is a half round donut inside thats sets the mirror from moving around
maybe yours is missing and a springView attachment 80224
No one sells seals for the flag mirror glass. Traps yes, but flags no.

There is no difference between 02 and e9. Flags were introduced after US e9 production ended, they showed up on the 02 in early 1975.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
No one sells seals for the flag mirror glass. Traps yes, but flags no.

There is no difference between 02 and e9. Flags were introduced after US e9 production ended, they showed up on the 02 in early 1975.
Right, that is what I am finding; flag mirror edge seal no, trap seals, yes.

I have no reason to believe that the flag on my Euro '73 (built late August '73) is not original. Are you saying flag is not found on pre-75 E9s?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I have no reason to believe that the flag on my Euro '73 (built late August '73) is not original. Are you saying flag is not found on pre-75 E9s?
Correct. And it isn’t in the parts books either. Introduced on mid 75 model year 2002s, my 75 2002 was built Nov 74 and it has the original trap mirror on it

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They were an easy swap back in the day because it shares the same door mount as the trap.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
So took off my mirror and found a August 1985 date code within it... So I guess it's not original to the car. That side of the car was repainted in Germany by 2nd owner in 1986 so makes sense she wanted to replace the 'old, out of style mirrors with the latest and greatest.

IMG_2519.JPG

A few details of the munting and the hidden setscrew if it helps others. Also a video of the motion on the 'flag' part of the mirror. I may leave it alone for now or spring for a couple of correct flag mirrors wich seem plenty available on the interwebs.

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG