Flex Disc Replacement

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I have a replacement flex disc (26 11 1 107 832) for my Getrag 265. I assume the steel band is removed after installation is completed. Is that correct? No special tricks to this?

Thanks

Doug

DJSimca

Reaction score
Hi Doug,
Just went through the same exercise. The easiest is to fit the guibo/flex disc on the prop shaft and then remove the steel band.

I was told to remove the steel band only after complete installation however the steel band on mine was not centered and the guibo could therefore only be installed easily on one side. In order to fit it to the gearbox I had to remove the band ... fitting it was easy as the rubber is somewhat flexible.

Rgds,
Torben

lloyd

Reaction score
Gratuitous advice

If I may, the rubber donut obviously expands when the band is removed. If the worst happens, i.e., you have to remove the guibo after having removed the band, there are a couple of easy fixes.

First, you can get yourself a large size hose clamp (the type that screws tight) and how you use it is fairly self evident. I have a couple guibos that have several clamps screwed together to keep the guibo compressed.

A second alternative is little less pretty. Use a big pair of Channellock pliers. You can start with one bolt and then proceed to squeeze the entire disk so that you can fit a bolt through the opposite bolt hole, then proceed to the next hole, etc. In a pinch, you can always use a prybar or screwdriver, but the band certainly makes things simpler. While this method seems lacking in finesse a guibo designed to handle the repeated shocks delivered from your engine to the driveline would likely be capable of being manhandled. To be sure, I am not advocating one abuse the guibo, but merely suggesting one need not necessarily handle them with kid gloves.

As an aside, there is an alternative guibo you might consider using along with shorter bolts. I am unfamiliar with the part number, but I believe it was used with the later automatics, the 530, the e24's and even the 02 automatics. This guibo is flat and reinforced with some sort of fabric, a la the belts commonly found in tires. The style guibo you are installing will likely cushion from driveline shock better, but when it fails - you get rubber chunks. The "reinforced" guibo wont chunk itself to death, and will outlast the solid rubber one many fold.