Florida E9 Project

floridabmx

Reaction score
Like most of you im sure, I fell in love with these cars when I first laid my eyes on one. Playing with early watercooled volkswagens ended up with me playing with a 2002 or two and then I ended up with a coupe. A bunch of them later and some I shouldnt have sold I saw the prices jump and thought to myself I should sell my VW and grab one to keep so here I am.

I bought a 70 2800cs out of Louisiana. You all may have seen it on here before.

20150410_143809.jpg

20150410_143729.jpg

20150410_143718.jpg

20150410_143706.jpg

Pretty car, right? Looks can be deceiving...

It had an outside restoration some years ago, the car is supposed to be blue. Nice job on the oustide, but its in need of metal work... arent they all?

As it arrived.

28518083305_3a44f7f0e3_b.jpg

28518085965_c5968099e5_b.jpg

Last edited:
Where in Florida? Those pics (unless from LA) look to be central or North Florida. I don't think your last two photos posted.

Scott

Where in Florida? Those pics (unless from LA) look to be central or North Florida. I don't think your last two photos posted.

Scott

I am in Daytona Beach area. Sorry, I just reuploaded the last two, I think I wasnt hosting them correctly.

Nice sunroof car, terrible looking wheels.

I hate the fact it has a sunroof, but I agree the wheels are terribly incorrect. You will be pleased to see my next post I believe.

I had this car in my driveway for 3 weeks it needs everything.

Its actually a quite nice car with good bones. Dont they all need everything? :)

Last edited:
So like Andrew stated, the wheels were horrible. Luckily theyre semi desirable being theyre three piece vintage so I sold them to a e28 or vw kid to recoupe the transport costs, and gathered some alloys and new rubbers and slapped them on for the mean time.

28518085085_30833ee0ba_z.jpg

I also sold the Nardi wheel that was in it as I have this Petri to install.

28235103120_5e252e4b10_b.jpg

Am gad you are taking it on, I saw some significant rust in the rockers, did you put the carbs back on, is the engine salvageable?

Am gad you are taking it on, I saw some significant rust in the rockers, did you put the carbs back on, is the engine salvageable?

I bought used 32/36 webers with manifolds and linkage here thinking I would do just that, but im scared of this motor. I can't turn it. I havent tried to oil the cylinders and honestly id rather not bother with it. I believe I will buy a donor car and swap it all in which is what I think I will end up doing.

The rockers were actually quite nice. I ended up patching the passenger side, and replacing full pans on driver side.

The work isnt perfect, but me and a buddy knocked it out in the florida heat over a few days at a time.

The w&n rear pans fit amazing. The fronts suck. They just sell you the stamp for the drain essentially. If I were to do it again, Id order front pans from dagsites as theyre actually formed sheet.

But whatever im not trying to restore this car on my small budget, im looking to make it a driver. I've never been one to enjoy extremely clean cars.

28519907605_d17933f4aa_b.jpg

27903395464_832af20209_b.jpg

Good job on the floor pans. I'm happy that you made a build thread. Hopefully that means you will hang onto it! :D

Also, a new member from Poland register recently. He is selling e9 pans that look pretty good!

Good job on the floor pans. I'm happy that you made a build thread. Hopefully that means you will hang onto it! :D

Also, a new member from Poland register recently. He is selling e9 pans that look pretty good!

yes, will be keeping this one surely. maybe one day sell it, but not anytime soon.

The only other thing i've done is replaced the broken passenger side window regulator with a good working one from another car I had here at one point.

This will be a very slow moving project...but I will try to update as I go on.

Nice car. If the interior is shot, re upholster in red

Sorry I must have missed the reply button. The car came with a complete tan interior. Im going to remake the carpet in black, as well as dye the seats and door cards in black as well until I can afford to have them reupholstered.

I did think about red, but I think it may just be a bit too classy for me haha.

Good luck. The body looks generally straight, so hopefully you can patch it, and make it a decent driver.

Scott

Sub-scribed. This looks interesting. +1 on Thanks for starting a thread on the progress.

Check some of the power users first posts from years ago. Interesting stuff! Posting often comes with a huge responsibility.:confused:
Starting your own build thread may turn out to be a huge motivation to keep your PayPal account loaded and your nose to the grindstone.
Cheers

The more I think, the more I think of turning this into a CSL tribute. But I just really dont have it in me to chop off these virgin fenders...

I hate the fact it has a sunroof.

I have a pretty cool vision for this car, but I want to hear everyone elses opinion on this???

Hi floridabmx.. I had exactly the same questions going through my mind with my 2800 CS which also needed a lot of new metal... I eventually decided that i would turn it into a nice little club racer and i am very happy with the result.. I get asked all of the time to lend it out for shows etc. I enjoy using it on the track very much but there is still a part of me that says that i need a good E9 for the road as well.. The decision is yours..I have attached a before and after image of what i did..
thumb_IMG_4302_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4323_1024.jpg

well, guess i'm that guy. this car will be for sale soon as I purchased a turn key car to just replace it with.

Back