For all Project Farm lovers

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
very cool video Steve ... thanks for sharing. have been a big believer in POR-15 products, now will look into this one.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
While POR-15 performed the best, it isn't easy to top coat, requiring its own special primer to make that possible. I've used it and it works very well. But it is affected by UV exposure somewhat. Some metal I painted black sat outside for a couple of years and went from glossy to a matte finish. It did stay rust-free though.

Here's an older Project Farm video on rust removal. As he notes, the acid products do work pretty quickly but at risk of removing metal as well. That's one technique for sharpening dull files - put them in a strong acid and it eats away at the metal, changing the rounded teeth into smaller pointy ones. You can only do that a couple of times of course. Not the technique to use on German steel that's already suffered loss because of corrosion.
I prefer slower-acting products that target only the iron oxide such as Evap-0-Rust. And they are reusable for an extended period as well.