for anyone who's still not sure what they're driving...

E9 plate..

You'd think they would've at least put their photoshopped E9 BMW plate on an E9. :cool:

Dan

true true.

when i bought my CSL the plate on it was '33 BMW'. The owner was selling it seperately and had had it valued at £12,000, more than i paid for the car. I personally would have thought 'e9 bmw' would be a lot more desirable and therefore alot more expensive.

jamesr, even if a e9 owner brought that number plate for there car, the law in England will not allow you to put that plate/number on your e9 because you can't put a newer reg ie e9, on a older car. Law sucks.

The whole number plate phenomenon amuses me. We first encountered it when living in Hong Kong, where the vagaries of Asian numerology beliefs imbue certain numbers with good luck. Any plate with 8's was highly sought, and certain other numbers were also valuable. As in England, certain plates traded for more money than the cars they were attached to were worth.

It's even more amusing to me that the Brits play this game. They seem so level headed, yet they trade car plates for ridiculous sums. It's comforting to know that all the irrational behavior isn't confined to the US! :p

PS: My e9 has regular issue plates, but I do have vanity plates on my e12 that read "Fünfer" (umlaut and all). These set me back the princely sum of about $100 when originally issued, and cost $70 every two years to retain.

I'm sorry, I hope I don't offend my friends in the UK, but the whole "cherished number plate thing" is SO incredibly stupid to me. Why someone would even think of paying more than $100 a year for a personalized plate is beyond me. I love vanity plates, but if someone tried to sell me one for more than I'd spend on a single tire I'd tell 'em to go stuff it. Here in the US you own the plate as long as you pay for it, but if you let it lapse, you lose it. This seems only appropriate to me......but then what do I know?

The situation in the UK is slightly different. I belive that in the USA it is possible to request a number of your own choice providing that it isn't allready being used (correct me if I'm wrong). Here in the uk all registration numbers are issued by the DVLA (government body who controlls driver and vehicle licencing) and stay with that vehicle for life (no annual renewal) it is possible to transfer a number to another vehicle and because we can't stipulate what we'd like if a number should by chance spell something like a name etc it suddenly becomes valuable. This has gotten to the point that even the government has latched on to this idea and hold auctions for unusual registration numbers which have retuned to the system i.e after a vehicle has been written off or scrapped. Some of the ammounts that registrations change hands for is shear lunacy, many many tens of thousands of pounds is not uncommon for the most desirable/unusual numbers is common.

The situation in the UK is slightly different. I belive that in the USA it is possible to request a number of your own choice providing that it isn't allready being used (correct me if I'm wrong).

That's more or less the case. The plates are still issued by the state government. The "personal plate" (more commonly AKA "vanity plate") is a voluntary tax; the cost is higher than regular registration. In Oregon the generic registration is about $50 every 2 years, the vanity reg is about $70, plus the aforementioned initial cost of about $100 to get the plates. There are also a slew of different plate motifs that cost extra -- cultural heritage fund, salmon habitat preservation, Crater Lake, various universities, military branches, etc.

The worst thing about Oregon is your personal message is limited to six characters, which means popular ideas or phrases become unavailable quickly as all possible references are used. IIRC California is up to eight characters, which makes it easier to do multiple words.

Different Here

The situation in the UK is slightly different. I belive that in the USA it is possible to request a number of your own choice providing that it isn't allready being used (correct me if I'm wrong). Here in the uk all registration numbers are issued by the DVLA (government body who controlls driver and vehicle licencing) and stay with that vehicle for life (no annual renewal) it is possible to transfer a number to another vehicle and because we can't stipulate what we'd like if a number should by chance spell something like a name etc it suddenly becomes valuable. This has gotten to the point that even the government has latched on to this idea and hold auctions for unusual registration numbers which have retuned to the system i.e after a vehicle has been written off or scrapped. Some of the ammounts that registrations change hands for is shear lunacy, many many tens of thousands of pounds is not uncommon for the most desirable/unusual numbers is common.

The laws actually vary from state to state (the Federal Government doesn't issue license plates). Yes you choose your plate name for personalized plates, but it's the exact opposite here. The plates belong to the driver NOT the car. In other words in my state (VA) I cannot sell or even give my plates to the next owner of my car but I can take them and use them on my next car. The only exception to that rule in my state are "old" vintage plates (not the "new" vintage plates issued by DMV). The "old" plates are cool because I can buy a set of 1971 plates (actually made in 1971) and put them on my 1971 BMW, but they can ONLY be put on a 1971 car.

Back