For the e39 M5 owners…

They remind me of the famous Car Talk thesis that two people that do not know what they are talking about know less than a single person that does not know what he is talking about:

Just finally watched the whole thing. I have to agree with a lot of it. In my opinion, the e39 M5 is the best car BMW has ever and will ever make. The e9 might be the best looking but the 1999-2003 M5 is the best. We bought a 2003 in 2007, it was my wife's daily for 5 years - it was so good to us. I regretted selling it and finally bought another one almost 5 years ago. Out of the e9, my new e46 M3, and it - the M5 is my favorite to drive!
IMG_1364.jpg

Just finally watched the whole thing. I have to agree with a lot of it. In my opinion, the e39 M5 is the best car BMW has ever and will ever make. The e9 might be the best looking but the 1999-2003 M5 is the best. We bought a 2003 in 2007, it was my wife's daily for 5 years - it was so good to us. I regretted selling it and finally bought another one almost 5 years ago. Out of the e9, my new e46 M3, and it - the M5 is my favorite to drive!View attachment 141761
Good to hear from an actual owner. Having one in the best color (IMHO) is nice bonus.

Last edited:
Having E9, E24, E36, and E39 M5 I say: They are all similar and they are all different. I have no favorite.
The podcast is contrarian on the M5 going away from rack and pinion. Others complained about that decision.

They remind me of the famous Car Talk thesis that two people that do not know what they are talking about know less than a single person that does not know what he is talking about:

One of my favorite lines ever from Car Talk went something like this:

"All used Volvos cost $6,000. If you buy a $1,000 used one, you'll be looking at $5,000 of repairs. If you buy one for $5,000, you'll need $1,000 worth of work done on it."

This was in the 80s and as such, I believe it was probably pretty accurate.

One of my favorite lines ever from Car Talk went something like this:

"All used Volvos cost $6,000. If you buy a $1,000 used one, you'll be looking at $5,000 of repairs. If you buy one for $5,000, you'll need $1,000 worth of work done on it."

This was in the 80s and as such, I believe it was probably pretty accurate.
I swear by my 1987 Volvo 240 station wagon.
I put 250k miles on it, original drivetrain. That means a Net Present Value of 80k$ in gas alone, or so.
Who cares about the 13k$ I paid for it or a few repairs.

PS: The most memorable Car Talk wisdom is:
"If a man speaks in the forest, and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Back