Formula 1: Drive to Survive

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone else watch this series? New season tonight, not that I've been waiting for it or anything. ;)

I liked season one a lot. 2nd season a bit less, and of course season 3 was difficult to put into an interesting program and nearly non-existent itself. Looking forward to season 4, hope it's up to season one standard.

Not so much into the Netflix series, but I am looking forward to the start of the season next weekend. Ferrari look very good; Mercedes making last minute changes (and likely to have driver animosity tossing sand again in the gears); Red Bull probably sandbagging in testing; McLaren unexpectedly stumbled; Haas got lucky with the Russia-Ukraine thing and were able to jettison the worst driver in the field; etc., etc..

I started watching the newest season yesterday in anticipation of the upcoming season. watched the first 3 episodes ... reaffirmed my dislike for Christian Horner. i have no issues with any of the drivers - like some more than others, but i am just hopeful for a great season of racing.

i have always been a long-time fan of McLaren + Williams (not much to root for with Williams for the last several years). not a fan of the reds ... been a fan of Hamilton, Alonso + Vettel since their first season. you have to admire Max's ability, even if you don't like him.

most of all, i am happy to see competitive races again.

I think the producers do a good job of filming all season then going back through and editing in the interviews and voice overs to make it more interesting since they now know the outcome. I still wonder how much is edited to spin things a certain way, but I think that with any reality show.

Might be interesting next season to see if they have anything with Haas dropping the Russian sponsor and driver.

i think they try to grab turning points (good or bad) that are pertinent to specific drivers / teams. just watched the one on Mazipin and his father's threats to pull out the funding - claiming that his son's car was different that Schumacher's. i think less talent was more accurate. daddy bought him a ride.

my thought is they are doing a good job of telling the story. i don't always get into the minutia of a lot of the background stories, but i've been watching the races (every race since the mid / late 90's). its a little different than the old Speed channel's year in review.

This series turned out to be a brilliant marketing move for F1. It has significantly increased the interest in and viewership of F1 racing. Formula 1 cars are amazing machines, and the drivers are fabulous, but sometimes the most exciting part of a race is waiting to see if car # 1 or 2 can get out of the pits before the next closest competitor goes past the pit exit road. The series adds a much needed human element and some off-track interest.

I'm sure the success of the series is why Netflix is trying to ink a deal with ASO (organizers/owners of Tour de France) and the eight biggest professional bike teams to do a series on the TdF. There is a reluctance to participate on the part of some of the biggest bike teams just as there was among the best F1 teams in season 1. Hopefully they can iron out the details as I'd love a peek behind the curtain. Just don't look too closely at the bags of plasma in the team bus refrigerator!

Back