Friend looking for a long hood 912 Targa

A soft-window is in a whole different league from a cost/rarity perspective. Does he just want a driver? Something to restore?

A soft-window is in a whole different league from a cost/rarity perspective. Does he just want a driver? Something to restore?
Thanks. In reality it will be a fixed rear glass car. A number 2-3 car, not a project. I did find online one softie here in the east, but the price is too good to be true, so it must be rusty.

No, she likes earlier, SWB better. A 67 popped up on ebay, in Idaho, but looks a bit too "original", i.e. scruffy, for her, she says.
Picky, picky…
CA car, Same owner since 1968, looks like a good buy.
But I get it. If you don’t do your own maintenance and the car is not just right it will collect dust in the garage.
A friend, borderline car guy, bought a decent 914 a few years ago. Drove it for a summer, then he saw a few oil drips on his garage floor. Last time I saw him He had not started it in two years.

Think that might be a "made" softie. They aren't great to actually drive as the fabric flaps around and makes a lot of noise and zipping the window in and out can be a bit of a pain.

That car needs lots more undercar shots and a good PPI from someone knowledgeable. They rust...

Think that might be a "made" softie. They aren't great to actually drive as the fabric flaps around and makes a lot of noise and zipping the window in and out can be a bit of a pain.

That car needs lots more undercar shots and a good PPI from someone knowledgeable. They rust...
Yes, I had a dark green 67 911 soft rear window and it was a laborious process, but once all in place with the tonneau snapped in it looked amazing with just the targa bar visible. I sold mine long before prices went crazy. Sigh….

5112B957-6D61-4B11-B9E6-3CD0C5B8576D.jpeg

3BD487A7-56DA-411A-BD4D-FE15DBB18E4E.jpeg

And therein lies the rub for the Idaho car. If the car were in So Cal, a good friend could easily go look at it. He owns a 911 softie and knows what to look for. But paying for him to fly to Idaho and back...

And therein lies the rub for the Idaho car. If the car were in So Cal, a good friend could easily go look at it. He owns a 911 softie and knows what to look for. But paying for him to fly to Idaho and back...
I've always hade luck going on to Pelican and asking for a good shop reference in the area. If you can find a good air-cooled shop, that should be fine.

I bought my Coupe off Sun Valley Auto Club in Idaho. Worked well for me. Pretty part of the country. I forget his name, but the guy I dealt with was very honourable, as he kept our deal open on my $400 deposit for a couple of weeks despite being offered what he said was considerably more money from someone who wanted the car and suggested his word could be broken. They let me use a hoist at the facility for as long as I wanted to poke and prod. They have some amazing cars in their storage facility.They even had a loaner car waiting for me to use at the airport. Might be worth the trip to Idaho. A low rust area.

Last edited:
Back