Front grill restoration

jhjacobs

Reaction score
My front grills are intact but a bit dull. I've removed them and cleaned with mild detergent and an old toothbrush but after they dry they remain dingy. ArmorAll is not an option.

Does anyone have any good cleaning techniques to offer? Are they dishwasher safe (not withstanding the wifes opinion)?

Is removing the chrome and repainting them a practical option? It looks like a possible but rather tedious. I also would be interested in suggestions for paint if this is a reasonable plan. I'll also need to find a painter but that is a personal problem...

If they have had any ArmorAll or silicone applied to them painting them will not be easy. No matter how well you prep them you will get orange peal effect. Clean them good with a silicone or wax remover then apply some Mothers Back to Black. The silicone remover will get rid of the oxidizing and give you a clean base. The trim is not chrome but polished/anodized aluminum and on mine both sides are pitted. I was gong to try to polish them but they are so thin I think the only way to do it with out destroying them would be to polish them in place. I fear this would mess up the plastic. After polishing I would remove the trim and have it clear anodized. I have a spare set I bought on Ebay a few years back and I was going to experiment on them first. They are still available new for around $190.00.

Scott

Thanks for the tip. I will try a wax cleaner. I don't think there has been any ArmorAll on them; they many appear to be old oxidized plastic. My chrome (alum) is also pitted but it doesn't look too bad.

I do have one spare grill from an E3 and it appears to be identical; I can certainly experiment with it. If all else fails I can shell out the buck for new ones...

It is possible to paint the grilles,I did mine a few years ago and they still look quite fresh. They were prepaired in a similar manner as outlined above, the aluminium strip was then masked off and the grilles then painted with aerosol paint. First with acrylic plastic primer and then with acrylic satin (semi flat) black

I restored my front grills and I'm happy with the outcome. As I worked to get these pieces looking good I initially thought about painting the black plastic, but something in my gut made me think heat and bug splatter might make the paint look tired after awhile. Through a little trial and error I found wet standing the plastic with a 2500 grit paper was the trick. After I was happy with the look of the black plastic I applied a Griots black trim restorer which really made the black pop.

Wet sanding was also the trick to removing the pitting from the aluminum trim and making it look good. I don't know if I'm correct about this, but my interpretation of the aluminum trim is that it left the factory with a lacquer finish on it so it would continue to look good without having to polish it. I know they do this with wheels in more current times. I believe my wet sanding removed this lacquer so when I polished the metal it actually shined up. I first tried metal polish without wet sanding and it didn't do anything. If one wanted to they could probably re-lacquer the aluminum after the restoration process, but I figured it's not a daily driver so it shouldn't be to hard to keep it looking good. Only time will tell.

Overview of the process I followed:

Prep:

1. Remove the aluminum trim from the black plastic. Take your time. My memory is you just slide the middle connectors on the trim and finesse it off.

2. Clean everything well in warm soapy water. Use the same soap you wash your car with. You'll get excited at how great the plastic looks wet as your washing it and then after it dries you'll realize you have more work to do.

Black Plastic:

1. Inspect the black plastic for any cracks. If anything needs gluing now is the time to do it. I had one slat in the grill that was lose and needed glue. I used the clear JB Weld to clue it. Worked great.

2. Clean the black plastic with something that will remove any oils or waxes, but isn't too harsh. I used Griots rubber prep. After cleaning with a cleaner let the parts sit for 24 hours so the next time you look at them everything is dry and you have a fresh set of eyes.

3. Assuming the black still looks dirty and dull, get out your 2500 grit sand paper and warm water and start wet sanding all the surfaces. If my memory is correct I had a few spots with scratches or pits where I started a little more aggressive like with 800 grit and then worked up to 2500 grit. How sweet you get it looking is a function of how much time you spend going over and over the part. As I sanded my parts I thought... now I understand why my body shop buddies painting my Coupe said I'd get a better result if I dealt with all the trim parts myself. This task is pretty mindless. If you had a crappy day at work you may find cracking a brew, cranking some tunes and sanding your grill is therapeutic.

4. Once you feel the black plastic is looking pretty good, leave it for a week so you come back at it with fresh eyes.

5. If after a week you still feel all the black looks good, apply your black plastic restorer treatment.

Aluminum Trim

1. To speed removing the lacquer finish which has all the pitting in it, start wet sanding with a more aggressive grit paper. I think I started with a 600 grit and worked up to 2500 for the final finish. Wet sand with the 2500 grit until all the surfaces look smooth. It will already look much better at this step than it did before. Remember if there is a scratch or pit the next metal polishing steps will not remove it. Either chose to live with it or keep sanding. If something is super deep probably best to live with a little imperfection (patina) and not try to sand it all out.

2. Polish the aluminum with a good metal polisher. I purchased a polishing kit from Eastwood. I used a power drill for my buffer, but if you have a wheel that would probably work best. I watched some YouTube videos on metal polishing that were helpful.

3. Final step - apply a fine metal polish. I used the Griots metal polish.

Wrap Up

Reinstall the aluminum on the black plastic.

Here are some before and after pictures:

Black plastic after it has been thoroughly cleaned with soapy water, and a scrub brush and dried. Still looks like its just been through a Dakar road rally. I believe the white along the top edge is ancient car wax.
WP_20171104_004.jpg

This is the left hand side grill, but I believe this is how the black plastic looked after all the wet sanding. It doesn't look dirty, but the black doesn't pop yet.
WP_20171104_008.jpg

Aluminum trim before wet sanding
Before - Aluminium Trim.jpg

After wet sanding and metal polishing
After - Aluminium Trim.jpg

Final Result

WP_20171126_001.jpg

WP_20171126_003.jpg

I cleaned mine really well and used some fine sand paper in a few places to smooth out some spots. I bought mine from Germany and they were pretty good.
I have painted many pieces like this on other BMW's and it has held up well. I used Dupli- Color trim paint. Made for items like this. It's a semi gloss so looks very much like an original new one.
Metal trim surrounds were re- chromed. Notice the headlight on left is not centered in grill. I have adjusted that since this photo was taken. I also haven't installed the washer nozzles for the wipers. I'll get to that one day. Thanks to Luis I may actually make them work. Ha Ha!
037A5598.JPG
037A5598.JPG

O sage ones correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the aluminum was originally just clear anodized from the factory, not lacquered. I think I remember a conversation with our old friend Murray Fowler, that all aluminum pcs were anodized...beltline, all grilles, front and rear glass trim surrounds, gutter trim, some emblems, later license tag panels...

I removed aluminum trim by prying up the crimps on the back side.
Next wash and then wet sanded down to 3000. The polished with a dremel tool and compound.

My grill surrounds were chrome plated. My original surrounds were very highly polished. I decided this was the best way to go and happy with result. These pieces were all part of a complete batch for the car so can't quote individual prices on plating.

BTW- anodizing on aluminum trims pieces can be removed with crystal drain cleaner. Sodium Hydroxide and warm water. It will make the aluminum look dull but it can be polished back with a buffer or a lot of good rubbing and a good polish.

I have mentioned this before.....I use Minwax floor restorer on my black plastic and alum bits after cleaning. It is water-based dilute polyurethane that you can just wipe on. I did this on my Bavaria in 2013 and all looks good still.

Back