Front pivot window

Glanceb

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions as I require the expertise,

Firstly, is there a fix for the pivot point on the front window, the join between the hinge has snapped.

Secondly is this a real Alpina BMW
http://www.finn.no/finn/viewimage?finnkode=13389758&reference=8/133/897/58_-317985783.jpg

and lastly my 2800cs is a converted one, upgraded disks etc to be like a 3.0cs, the carbs are gone and now it has a D-Jet injection on it, but while I was working on the engine I noticed a 2.5-2.8 stamped on the aluminium casing, does this mean that they have just bolted the top have of a 3.0cs engine onto it. Therefore is it over fueling?

I also found in the spare parts what looks like the head for a 2.5-2.8 inlets but I have no idea where the carbs would go on it?

Any help would be great?

all the pics of the engine and the spare parts are at this link.

http://www.wrmcars.dk/BMW 3,0 CSI 1970.html

cheers,

GlanceB

Glanceb

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions as I require the expertise,

Firstly, is there a fix for the pivot point on the front window, the join between the hinge has snapped.

Secondly is this a real Alpina BMW
http://www.finn.no/finn/viewimage?finnkode=13389758&reference=8/133/897/58_-317985783.jpg

and lastly my 2800cs is a converted one, upgraded disks etc to be like a 3.0cs, the carbs are gone and now it has a D-Jet injection on it, but while I was working on the engine I noticed a 2.5-2.8 stamped on the aluminium casing, does this mean that they have just bolted the top have of a 3.0cs engine onto it. Therefore is it over fueling?

I also found in the spare parts what looks like the head for a 2.5-2.8 inlets but I have no idea where the carbs would go on it?

Any help would be great?

all the pics of the engine and the spare parts are at this link.

http://www.wrmcars.dk/BMW 3,0 CSI 1970.html

cheers,

GlanceB

tochi

Reaction score
Glanceb said:
J Is there a fix for the pivot point on the front window, the join between the hinge has snapped.

It would help if you posted a picture of the broken part or pointed to the part using a realoem diagram as there are 2 separate pivot points. If you are describing the pivot/hinge near the top of the window, I can only suggest getting the pivot from another car and retrofitting it. I would guess the pin (a hardened steel dowel) could be fabricated from any number of sources, including a hardware store. I have never experienced that type of a break except for someone prying at it. I was able to braze the hinge pin back to its original position. If the snapped part is integral to the quarter window's regulator, that is a different animal.

Glanceb said:

I have no idea from the pictures. A Vin number would give a good indication though.

Glanceb said:

From the pictures, it appears that someone has done a pretty thorough job with the conversion and maybe they have also accounted for any different fuel requirements for the smaller engine displacement. Does the car run as though it is overly rich? Poor fuel economy? Fouled plugs? My point being that the indications of displacement on the head or block may not mean anything since you haven't been into the engine to measure things. The D-jet, like any fuel injection, can be modified or leaned out by many different means, including reduced fuel pressure, different injectors, pressure sending unit or even ECU. Other workarounds might include changes in ignition timing. Without more details, your questions are impossible to answer.

hth

tochi

Reaction score
Glanceb said:
J Is there a fix for the pivot point on the front window, the join between the hinge has snapped.

It would help if you posted a picture of the broken part or pointed to the part using a realoem diagram as there are 2 separate pivot points. If you are describing the pivot/hinge near the top of the window, I can only suggest getting the pivot from another car and retrofitting it. I would guess the pin (a hardened steel dowel) could be fabricated from any number of sources, including a hardware store. I have never experienced that type of a break except for someone prying at it. I was able to braze the hinge pin back to its original position. If the snapped part is integral to the quarter window's regulator, that is a different animal.

Glanceb said:

I have no idea from the pictures. A Vin number would give a good indication though.

Glanceb said:

From the pictures, it appears that someone has done a pretty thorough job with the conversion and maybe they have also accounted for any different fuel requirements for the smaller engine displacement. Does the car run as though it is overly rich? Poor fuel economy? Fouled plugs? My point being that the indications of displacement on the head or block may not mean anything since you haven't been into the engine to measure things. The D-jet, like any fuel injection, can be modified or leaned out by many different means, including reduced fuel pressure, different injectors, pressure sending unit or even ECU. Other workarounds might include changes in ignition timing. Without more details, your questions are impossible to answer.

hth

Glanceb

Reaction score
Cheers for that,

1: It is the top pivot hinge that has snapped, I will try and get one from another window and retrofit.

2: The Alpina 3.0 was just an ad on the net, I just didn't think they did an alpina version

3: With regards to the engine, it seems like it might be overfueling, the reason I ask the question is another BMW expert told me that you cannot adjust a D-Jet as it is analogue therefore it would be overfueling. Yes the previous owner might have bored out the cylinders which I have not ruled out but I was just looking for some key indicators. I will check the wiring and injectors as you recommended.

Cheers again,

Glanceb

Glanceb

Reaction score
Cheers for that,

1: It is the top pivot hinge that has snapped, I will try and get one from another window and retrofit.

2: The Alpina 3.0 was just an ad on the net, I just didn't think they did an alpina version

3: With regards to the engine, it seems like it might be overfueling, the reason I ask the question is another BMW expert told me that you cannot adjust a D-Jet as it is analogue therefore it would be overfueling. Yes the previous owner might have bored out the cylinders which I have not ruled out but I was just looking for some key indicators. I will check the wiring and injectors as you recommended.

Cheers again,

Glanceb