Front seat disassembly

captaindigme

Reaction score
Taking them apart to take to my upholsterer, It's like disarming a freakin' nuclear warhead !
How the hell do you remove the back"wrap around" on the seat back ???
Any advise would be greatly appreciated !!

as i remember, its been 6 months since i did this, its easiest if the seat is out of the car. you fold the seat over and grab the bottom of the back (i don't remember if there are any screws at the bottom - i think there are 2) and pull it up ... then pull it down out of the polished aluminum channel. then you will need to get it off of the seat back release lever (which means the knob has to be removed). my advice is to not take the entire seat apart as there are a couple of things that they need to understand while putting it back together.

oh, once the seat back has been removed, the rivets for the polished aluminum trim will have to be drilled out. then the aluminum trim has to be carefully removed to allow the leather on the seat to be removed / recovered. i find it is easier to remove the metal trim when the seat back has been removed from the seat bottom

Pictures? Can you get to the headrest mechanism once the back is removed? I think mine are stuck

Pictures? Can you get to the headrest mechanism once the back is removed? I think mine are stuck[/QUOT

Once the decorative back panel has been removed, the fun really starts. The next battle is removing the fiberglass back panel which is attached to the seat frame with a million rivets (well, not that many, but it seems like it.) They all have to be drilled out. Then you will have access to the frame and headrest tubes. Still more fun to come if your headrests are stuck. If you get to the point where the headrest won't budge by prying against the frame, hanging it from rafters and pulling down on the frame, soaking for days with PB Blaster or whatever, you might want to consider taking the headrest upholstery apart, removing the foam, etc., to expose the headrest frame. Cut the top and bottom frame rails and twist the two halves to free them up. Reassembly is the reverse, plus welding the headrest frame back together. Ask me how I know all this? Good luck.

Pictures? Can you get to the headrest mechanism once the back is removed? I think mine are stuck
Jeff, it ain't easy. my advice is to put some PB blaster down the tube to try to get it loosened up. then its called a BF hammer / pry bar to work on loosening it up so you can get it to move

Back