Front shock towers

FlyWulf

Reaction score
Hello all this is my first post on the site. Can anyone tell me if there is replacement sheetmetal available for the rust prone areas on the e9 coupe? I have looked at many for sale and it is a definate problem on every one. Also how much rust is considered unrepairable?

With enough cash, anything is fixable. For panels, ou can check with the usuals, like Carl Nelson and other suppliers. They occasionally have panels, but it isn't common.

The inner front fenders/shock towers are available from BMW Mobile Tradition. From the parts books, section 41/3, BMW p/n 41 14 1 814 001 (L) and 41 14 1 814 002 (R). Alternate numbers 41 14 1 816 943 (L) and 41 14 1 816 944 (R). Description: Wheelhousing kpl. I just saw a new example of a left inner fender over at Boyd Fechners. Very nice piece: around a grand per side?

Replacement panels, whether genuine BMW or pattern are available for just about all the rust prone areas of the E9
Unfortunately unless your prepared to tackle the work yourself (like me :roll: ) the labour costs are going to very rapidly exceed the value of the car.
However that said I think there are quite a few folk here that like the E9 so much they go ahead and buy one or restore one despite the fact that they know they tend to be bottomless money pits :lol:
The rewards of owning one cannot be measured in money, more in smiles per mile :)

So go out and buy the best one you can find, and if you see one you really like get somebody who knows the cars to look at it for you, ask on the board here somebody probably lives near you and will help

Malc

You might consider driving down to Wilmington and speaking to Peter at Coupe King (about 20min south of Redondo). I think he currently has an example of a repair job that became too costly for the owner due to rust, and also has a nice low/no rust example for sale. That might help you frame the upper and lower limits on what is acceptable to your budget. And he can speak with you about replacement panels and clips.

Repairs

I agree with David, go see Peter. He is around on Saturday mornings but call or e-mail first, just off PCH before you get to Alameda, right next to a junk yard. He has my `73 right now repairing the rust, which is minimal but still frightening to see, and repainting it. I knew I had front quarter panel bubbles but I wasn't prepared for when the rocker covers came off!

if you are in redondo beach, CA peter s. in wilmington, CA is definitely the one to see. if you were in myrtle beach, SC, peter s. in wilmington, CA would still be the one to see.

-Adam

Back