Front strut frustration!

Dave L

Reaction score
I replaced the front cartridges in my coupe, oddly I found that the old ones that I took out were different on each side. I replaced them with new matching cartridges and have had a rattle in the passenger side since. I have taken it apart and re-did the job three times now. I have tightened the cartridge retaining screw cap as much as possible. This weekend I took it apart again and replaced the rubber mount on top. Took her out for a spin...and it is still rattling. Making me nuts. I'm beginning to wonder if someone replaced that entire that entire strut tube assembly as some point with something that doesn't quite match. anyone aware of someone breaking a car from which I could acquire a passenger side front suspension assembly? Or have any ideas? Are all years of CS's the same in the front?

Dave L (70 2800cs)

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If the shock diameter is too small, could you wrap some tape around the lower end to fill the annular space?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I discovered 2 different struts on mine when i did this job:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10199

My right (passenger side) one had been replaced with an incorrect one from a Bav or something, check the numbers on your struts and compare to mine. I ended up getting a used strut from Double 02 slavage and all's well. My situation may be different from yours in that the new bilstein shock retaining ring wouldnt fit. But maybe check the numbers as a starting point.

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
If I 'm reading this correct

The issue described seems to be length or lack thereof rather than the insert is too large in diameter and requires a different strut nut/ strut diameter.

The specifications relate to a length of both Boge and bilsteins. There once was a third- Novimot? which seems to be some sort of attempt a a self leveler. Long since gone the way of the dodo but had a rubber spacer on top much like the underside of the rear shock.

If the distance is small, could not a steel spacer/ shim on the end of the strut cartridge do the job? Perhaps a shock bushing cut to the appropriate length form the local auto parts since they charge you for just those when you buy a set of expensive shocks?

Dave L

Reaction score
Front strut frustration

I have been considering this attempt at putting a "space filler" in there to see what it does. So far , no yards (double o2 included) have the strut tower assembly available. I think this can be fixed with the current parts. I have two other retaining nuts from the old cartridges. I will mix and match and put a spacer in there if I have to and see if I can solve this problem.

Dave L