Front Suspension

Paul T

Reaction score
My mechanic is working on my car as I write this.

He is upgrading the suspension (swaybars, camber plates etc) and I have asked him to remove the spacer from the front strut in order to provide space for the camber plate – otherwise the front of the car, which was high anyway, will be even higher.

He has just called me to say that there isn’t any visible sign of there being any spacers. I am 150 miles away and can’t view the car to help/hinder. Any body shed light on this matter? Where are the spacers? What do they look like?

No doubt this was covered on the old site – sorry.

BTW the car is a 1972 RHD CSL.

Regards,

Paul

Malc

Reaction score
Paul,
The front struts on the "bucket" had spacers on the top of them. I assume this is to adjust the hieght etc depending on several factors, not least of all the overall length of the strut the fact it's a Csi etc etc
However if you have a CSL then these may of not been fitted so that the car sits lower, or they have "disappeared" at some point.

If your Csl looks a little "nose" up it could be due to the rear springs either being too short or the rubber packing seats have disappeared. The packing pieces sit on the trailing arm and were available in various thicknesses Hope your rear spring upper mounts aren't collapsing!

I have have a rummage around in the shed and take some pictures of struts, spacers, and rear packing for you if needs be
Let me know
Cheers
Malc

Paul T

Reaction score
Thanks Malc.

The front and rear have had new springs and shocks fitted recently and although the front sits higher that the rear (by about 1") I don't think it is due to the rear sitting down.

I have since been told that he hadn't removed the struts and so the spacers, assuming they are at the top, wouldn't have been visible.

I'll let Dr Malc know what happens.

Thanks again.

P

BonitaCS

Reaction score
I thought the spacers were on US spec cars only and were there to raise the height of the car so the bumpers would meet US DOT requiremenst?

Scott

Paul T

Reaction score
Now the strut is off the car there doesn't seem to be a spacer. If this is the case, and I will see it with my own eyes tonight, why is the car still riding high by an inch?

The rear is sitting as it should on new springs etc.

P

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is he tightening the suspension parts with the suspension hanging while the car is on the lift? This can cause binding in the lower arms and affect ride height. Suspension parts that move in the vertical plane should be tightened with the wheels on the ground to avoid improper preload.