FS: 3 Glas 1700 GTS's

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
From the 2002faq site. Recently posted. NMNA

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was quietly rumbling inside, until I read the whole ad...TBD!...that's TOO BIG for DAVE...Came close to buying one (pale yellow) from a Craigslist guy in South Dakota, I think, in the middle of the great recession of maybe 2009, when I was selling 2002 parts to make the house payment...It was around $2600, IIRC, and my wife said "whatever you think...", which, of course, meant ok, if I had mayo jars in the back yard ... I didn't. Maybe a trip to the convenience store tomorrow for some scratch-off lottery tickets....It was my "poor man's 911" when I was a teen; my favorite car...still ranks right there.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Could this be placed on a Z3 chassis, I wonder?

Make it into a cabrio... S14 engine...

shanon

Reaction score
The background foliage doesn't look like Sacramento, bet they're closer to/in the Sierras/foothills.

Bring a 'big' trailer ;)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone considering seriously getting into these should talk to Mario Langston at VSR in New Hampshire. Mario restored two of these for Chris Auty and knows a lot about them.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm....heading to SF Bay Area for family stuff this weekend, I wonder if I could convince by bride that she needs one of these...
Good plan, let me know if you need help. I do not think you can drive it back to the east coast after the weekend...

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To quote Monty Python & The Holy Grail “Run away!”

Even if those 1 of those 3 Glas GTs were in better shape & everything given to an interested person free. The cost of metal work, engine rebuilding, gauge restoration, upholstery, paint & assembly. Out weighs the sale price the market will bear.

Vintage Sports & Restoration has worked on & restored Chis Auty’s 2 BMW 1600GTs & assembled his Glas 1600GT & maintaned his Glas 1700GT Cabriolet. When Chris passed away at the end of 2021. Mario advised & assisted with tha sale of the cars.

Alex Auty, has kept the Navy Blue/Ox Blood BMW 1600GT & the Glas 1700 GT Cabriolet.

The “Silver Bullet” BMW 1600 GT was sold to one of VSR’s clients instead of restoring a Glas 1700GT project. Saving his client close to $100K+ on a restoration.

Last I knew the Burgundy/Cognac Glas 1600GT was still available.

Olzendaal has 2 BMW 1600GTs for sale now. A red one & a silver one.

If truly interested in the Glas & BMW GTs there is an International Glas Club in Germany run by Uwe Gusson (pronounced oovee goos-on). Axel Coelln is the the US ambassador/president/expert.