FS: 73 2002 Tii Touring- Back on the market

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
FOR SALE AGAIN - Many of you have been following my 2002 purchase and subsequent improvement project. I've spent a lot of time hunting special period parts as well as many hours cleaning and detailing.

The car is amazingly original and with only 74k miles. Amazing ownership history with import from Switzerland in the later 90s.

I've improved it a lot and spent many hours giving it the loving care it really deserved. The engine compartment and interior are remarkable (especially for an original 50 yr old car) and are a wonder of originality and accuracy.

So with a rather downbeat heart, I reluctantly have to put the car up for sale. I just don't have the garage space (I already rent 3 additional spots in San Francisco) nor the funds to keep a lot of cars. As luck would have it I've been presented with an opportunity to buy a friend's mid-year 911 in a favorite factory color (Mexico Blue).

I'm not fully plugged into the value of 2002s, but this is a special car and really for someone that's partial to keeping their cars original and unmolested. It's not a car to modify. It's just too beautiful and original.

SO, I'd like to sell the car. I've spent a lot of time recently working on the external paint and trim and think it's come out pretty well. Having said that it is a 70's metallic BMW that was known to be problematic in period let alone 50 yrs on. The car is wonderful as is as a time capsule or if someone with OCD wants a show car, they could get the car painted. I think the car would make a great, straightforward paint project because the door and hatch and sunroof jams and engine compartment are in wonderful condition. That's my opinion at least.

The car runs, drives, stops and tracks wonderfully and the new CN36's are great tires and very comfortable. It doesn't smoke on start up or at any point and everything aside from the clock work as designed. The 882 driving lights are wired to light with the brights and automatically turn off with the lights on dim. The sunroof needs the felt seal which I have. I've also found the small unicorn, NLA rear hatch light switch. I'm not installing as it's really nla so I'll leave it to the next caretaker if they want to use it. Lots of other details to discuss if someone is interested. In the photos, the locking strip is not in the rear window but I do have a set of new re-pop ones from Stephan.

I just got pics back from my photog and have a library of photos on the car. I'll be adding underside shots over the next couple of days. DM me if you are interested.

To read more about the car and my improvements, you can ck this thread.

Best,

Tyson

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting!
Any guidance on how the car drives?
Like a well sorted original Touring, I suppose? Which is to say it drives great. Lovely big sunroof and very forgiving over crappy bay area roads. Great greenhouse. Its light steering is a delight and the new CN36's are great tires. I hustled it around a few corners and though it has some body lean, it's very deft and pleasurable to drive in a sporting manner. I've never driven a 2002 coupe so I have no point of reference there.

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like a well sorted original Touring, I suppose? Which is to say it drives great. Lovely big sunroof and very forgiving over crappy bay area roads. Great greenhouse. Its light steering is a delight and the new CN36's are great tires. I hustled it around a few corners and though it has some body lean, it's very deft and pleasurable to drive in a sporting manor. I've never driven a 2002 coupe so I have no point of reference there.
Exuberant power, free revving? Or good handling but underpowered. I recall 2002s being "throwable" and the type of car you look excuses to go on errands. A bit of oversteer. Grinhouse would be better than greenhouse :).

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Exuberant power, free revving? Or good handling but underpowered. I recall 2002s being "throwable" and the type of car you look excuses to go on errands. A bit of oversteer. Grinhouse would be better than greenhouse
Exuberant power? In a 70s BMW?! Well it's shorter and lighter than an 02 so yea, loads of power on, opposite lock oversteer. Tons. I can barely keep from swapping ends under the acceleration. Lol

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Exuberant power? In a 70s BMW?! Well it's shorter and lighter than an 02 so yea, loads of power on, opposite lock oversteer. Tons. I can barely keep from swapping ends under the acceleration. Lol
OK, I get the picture. I can work on a draft of how to describe this for BringATrailer, or you can ask chatGPT to do that.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can get behind the idea of a Mexico Blue 911. Nice. Let's see a pic of that!
It's not fully back together but here are some pics when it was in paint..

IMG_4890.JPG
IMG_4889.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_4887.JPG
IMG_4882.JPG
IMG_4883.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG
IMG_4890.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_4887.JPG
IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_4895.JPG
IMG_4915.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow that looks amazing - they really did have beautiful colors (and names for them)

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding the 2002 Tii touring I saw it this weekend at the 2002 show in Brisbane this weeked and it is a very speical car. It is so clean and orginal for a 50 year old car. Tyson is not exaggerateing this is a special car. The milage and the near perfect condition of the interior make this a really nice buy
Mike