FS: BMW Horn button

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, $725 for a new Nardi with adapter. I have a used wheel I would sell. Sorry for poaching your thread my friend!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

have you seen the prices on ebay recently? they are running from 700 to 1275 ... except the ones from thailand. remember how scottevest berated coupeguy several years ago ... and touted wood-steering-wheels on ebay? ... makes coupeguy look like a bargain

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-2800...NOS-/351501455825?hash=item51d71e91d1&vxp=mtr

so what do you think our old ones, with the original style cast hub is worth?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I have. What's a good price to a fellow forum member? Includes Nardi hub not a homemade one and BMW horn button.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, $725 for a new Nardi with adapter. I have a used wheel I would sell. Sorry for poaching your thread my friend!

Hey, wait a minute. Can't you still buy these Nardi's new for about $350 + hub and horn, and isn't the Euro really weak against the dollar? Or are these subtlety different from the new 360mm and 390mm wheels that everyone sells?

jmackro

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute. Can't you still buy these Nardi's new for about $350 + hub and horn, and isn't the Euro really weak against the dollar? Or are these subtlety different from the new 360mm and 390mm wheels that everyone sells?

The wheel in the ad that Stan referenced is "Italian Made". Actually, the description in that ad gets at this issue:

Beautiful, Italian made (watch out for lots of Japanese or Chinese made Nardis out there) ..... Supply is very limited with new Italian Nardis no longer said to be manufactured but somehow my supplier seems to be able to find good NOS wheels from around the world. Thats why they cost more than one would like I suppose.

I just took a quick look on ebay, and yes, you can get a 360/390 mm wood-rimmed Nardi wheel for ~ $350. My guess is that these ebay wheels are Asian made. Their wood rims are fatter than the Italian made wheels.

Can anyone shed light on the trademark issues at play here? I assume that the Asian manufacturers have the right to stamp "Nardi" on these wheels.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i was under the impression that Nardi quit making them ... perhaps they just quit making them in Italy. perhaps now they make them in China.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The wheel in the ad that Stan referenced is "Italian Made". Actually, the description in that ad gets at this issue:

Beautiful, Italian made (watch out for lots of Japanese or Chinese made Nardis out there) ..... Supply is very limited with new Italian Nardis no longer said to be manufactured but somehow my supplier seems to be able to find good NOS wheels from around the world. Thats why they cost more than one would like I suppose.

I just took a quick look on ebay, and yes, you can get a 360/390 mm wood-rimmed Nardi wheel for ~ $350. My guess is that these ebay wheels are Asian made. Their wood rims are fatter than the Italian made wheels.

Can anyone shed light on the trademark issues at play here? I assume that the Asian manufacturers have the right to stamp "Nardi" on these wheels.
i do know that there a lot of Nardi wheels made in Japan under license for some japanese cars ... i do not know the specifics. if you look at most of the auction origins of the cheaper wheels - thailand

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i was under the impression that Nardi quit making them ... perhaps they just quit making them in Italy. perhaps now they make them in China.

Yep, and upon my request every steering wheel in China comes without a horn button. It was either that or going deaf.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would do your homework before dealing with the EBay seller. Story I was told was these are old stock from the 80s bought from Nardi before they shifted manufacturing. Wanted to see date stamp etc. before spending this amount. Didn't get satisfaction as to authencity. BTW hubs are not period correct.

Ended buying a used wheel out of Japan. Date stamped 1978. Rim needed some love, but a small brush, varnish, find sanding etc. (repeat, repeat) it looks great. Perfect patina in a car that wants to not look new.

$275 about 1 1/2 years ago.

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not talking about eBay cr@p.
Go to the official Nardi website. Find lots of 'classic' style wheels in 360mm 380mm etc for under $440 ... And one variant for $900. The main diff I can see is the thinner rim. So maybe $750 is indeed a bargain.

jmackro

Reaction score
I'm not talking about eBay cr@p.
Go to the official Nardi website. Find lots of 'classic' style wheels in 360mm 380mm etc for under $440.

While I'm not denying that there is cr@p sold on ebay, that isn't to say that every $350 Nardi Classico on ebay is cr@p.

For example, check out this one sold by Crowder's Customizing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nardi-Steering-Wheel-Classic-Wood-Polished-390-mm-New-/191321975592?hash=item2c8badab28&vxp=mtr Crowder's has a good reputation and has been around for a while - I doubt they are selling illegal knock-offs.

Also, ebay claims to police its listings by weeding out illegal knock-offs.

My guess is that the 'classic' style wheel on the Nardi website for under $440 are identical to the $360 wheel on the ebay/Crowder's site.