FS: rough European bumpers

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought I'd lost my original rear bumper, but then I found the hanging right where I put it 5 years ago. I was about to walk them out to the scrap pile but was lured in my what I feel are not terrible cores. Oh, they are very rough - but I've seen much worse. These would be great for an E9 rat rod :D. Or better yet, if someone wanted to clean them up and make them their own. That's what I would do (would have done). I don't know, maybe $50 for the pair plus shipping?

Look closely - in addition to the rust there is a dent on the bottom side by the bracket. But all things that some tinkering can address. Thanks for looking.
Stephen
20241020_103622.jpg20241020_103630.jpg20241020_103652.jpg20241020_103659.jpg20241020_103729.jpg20241020_103811.jpg

They look to be good enough to be saved.

Isn't the amount of work roughly the same for a plating shop if you bring them these, compared to handing them a (much) better set?

Meaning that, (if I'm right, i actually never have had anything plated before) getting this set chromed is perhaps cheaper then chroming a 'driver' quality set of ~700 euro/usd.

Erik.

Isn't the amount of work roughly the same for a plating shop if you bring them these, compared to handing them a (much) better set?
No, I wouldn't agree with that at all.

As with painting a car, the expense in re-chroming is in the preparation. A smooth surface can "just" be dipped in the tank that removes the old plating and then dipped in the tanks that add the new plating. Sure, it isn't that simple - there is also polishing that must take place - but you get the idea.

Plating a rusted bumper involves repairing/filling the pits and that isn't simple. If they aren't too deep, the shop can apply successive layers of copper plating and buff the surface smooth. But if the pits are deep, they need to be individually filled with weld, solder, or something else metallic that the first plating layer can adhere to. Lots of skilled, manual labor.

Back