Fuel non return valve location

BarnE9

Reaction score
Have read several posts relating to fitting a non return valve to solve the 'hard to start after standing idle for a while' issue. Thinking of fitting one to my 73 Csa (Zenith's and pierburg manual fuel pump) but would appreciate advice on best location. Have read it might be advantageous to fit close to fuel sender in boot (trunk) rather than in engine bay but is this mainly for aesthetics or does the additional distance from the pump actually help with cold start? If the engine bay is fine is there a minimum distance from the pump you guys would recommend?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Barn, You will most likely get many suggestions for the optimum location for the fuel line check valve. I installed one in my '72 CS, carbs, about 6 years ago and completely solved my" hard start after sitting for some time" issue. And as you can see in this photo, I installed it in the area just under the left side drain tube. It has been trouble free since added. Good luck! Mike
SAM_4520.JPG

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a fuel pump controller that runs the pump for three seconds when I turn the ignition to position 2, and I also pump the accelerator three times before I turn the key. My car starts right up.

The controller also has a cut off if it does not get a signal from the coil, which is the primary reason I bought it.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Ideally you'd want it as close to the fuel pump inlet as possible.
cannot see why Steve ? if we assume all fuel behind it ,stays there, i would think with manual fuel pump on engine to place it at the tank … so on starting the pump gets as many fuel as can … at least the complete hose content. Once running it will be easy'er to cope with some air untill it takes fuel. ?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I suppose once the fuel is in the line, either end would work as long as fuel doesn't drain back to the tank.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my case, I located the fuel filter near the Pierburg, and hoped it could retain enough fuel to help on startup. Nope. Once I added the check valve where I did, I haven't had to address this again. So I was on to the door brake, the sunroof switch, the valve adjustment, the starter replacement...and so on ;)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
So if installed, what happens with the idle shut off valve that's supposed to allow some back flow to prevent engine run on after ignition is turned off? Sounds like it's not an issue but in theory it should be, no?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So if installed, what happens with the idle shut off valve that's supposed to allow some back flow to prevent engine run on after ignition is turned off? Sounds like it's not an issue but in theory it should be, no?

The idle valve merely cuts flow to the jets forcing the carb to shut down, it doesn’t affect gas in the lines or fuel bowl.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone have a source for this they recommend. Seems like this is an easy upgrade and cheap!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone have a source for this they recommend. Seems like this is an easy upgrade and cheap!
If memory serves, I located a metal non-return valve, in fact I think it was a 2-pack, on eBay, for about $8. There are many Chinese sellers listed, but if you scroll down you can find some US retailers. I think it was 5/16 dia. I believe some lawnmower type repair shops may carry such an item as well. Good luck! Mike