Fuel pump issue (Pierburg "made in Italy")

taylorcom

Reaction score
This issue has been addressed here before, but I wanted to update it. I thought I needed a fuel pump for my e9 and ordered one from Jaymic in June 2011. It arrived quickly (at a total cost of $112 $US). The pump failed yesterday, tho my 3.0 CS didn't get a lot of use during that period of less than 3 years.

Here's the issue: the Jaymic website, and the box the pump came in, said "Pierburg". The box even says "Pierburg Germany". Open the box, tho, and the pump itself says "made in Italy." The actual pump does not say Pierburg anywhere. Instead, it's embossed with "BREVETTATO," a brand of pump made in Italy.

The real Pierburgs were made in Germany. I had one that'd been sitting around the garage for years, and installed it. Car running again.

I had a similar issue years ago with an Italian made fuel pump I installed in a BMW 1600. That pump lasted a few months.

Buyer beware.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a similar experience , when new, I noticed the same markings as yours. The seller assured me it was Pierburg and he gave me a 3 year warranty on it. Brevetatto just means"patented" in Italian and Pierburg does have a presence in Italy (I looked all this stuff up because of my fear of a Pierburg knock-off like you). I forgot the reason, either Pierburg or BMW, but the names are ground off them (I'm sure yours has a divot somewhere).

taylorcom

Reaction score
Yes, mine has 2 places where name was ground off, just above "made in Italy". My fake Pierburg lasted nearly 3 years, but not many miles.

I hope yours has lasted longer. Having to get towed home is no fun.

It looks like someone got a bunch of Pierburg boxes & filled them with fake goods.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Post 67 has the older pump which was repairable but kits are NLA. Newer one is totally round and a closed system and not meant to be repairable.

Personally, these pumps are way overpriced for what they are. Often think of doing the electrical thing (Leslie Wong has a post on this).

johnl

Reaction score
Post 67 has the older pump which was repairable but kits are NLA. Newer one is totally round and a closed system and .not meant to be repairable.

Personally, these pumps are way overpriced for what they are. Often think of doing the electrical thing (Leslie Wong has a post on this).

I'm a Hella/Pieburg Warehouse Distributor. If someone can provide me part numbers on these items I'll see if any are out there.

John L

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Entire fuel pump is number 18 in image:

Interestingly, I got the number from Real OEM for the newer sealed pump and then cross-referenced it in Real OEM and the image for the older pump came up. All of us have had to hunt one of these down at some point and DQ has a few he found and is generous enough to help anyone out who needs one....but his stash will not last forever so any help would be great.

FUEL PUMP

31.png

johnl

Reaction score
I've received a reply back from Hella regarding part # 13311260677. The item is still good but will not be avialable to us until at least June 30 per the reply.

Should anyone wish to place an order on these your cost would be $117.98 per pump + shipping to you. If you are a California resident sales tax will need to be added.

For those interested send me a PM.

Johnl

Entire fuel pump is number 18 in image:

Interestingly, I got the number from Real OEM for the newer sealed pump and then cross-referenced it in Real OEM and the image for the older pump came up. All of us have had to hunt one of these down at some point and DQ has a few he found and is generous enough to help anyone out who needs one....but his stash will not last forever so any help would be great.

FUEL PUMP

31.png

taylorcom

Reaction score
I've been discussing the issue of the Pierburg “made it Italy” with the seller, Jaymic Ltd. After some discussion, I received the following reply today:

Hello Steve

You can send it to us at Jaymic to send on to MS in Germany or I can find out the return address for Germany for you and any reference number MS require for the return.

My supplier said MS Motor Service International would refund the shipping costs incurred if they find the pump to be at fault. You can forward me the cost & proof of posting.

I have now received the conformation letter from MS which I have attached for your information [see below].

I found your comments on the E9 Forum http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16101 when I was doing my own research in to the possibility of fake Pierburgs. Why did you not contact us before making these unsubstantiated claims, without us looking into it first?

I sincerely hope you will take the time to post a reply on the E9 forum which amends your accusation of Jaymic Ltd selling fake goods, which we find upsetting and distressful as we, Hans Motors & MS Motor Service International are reputable Companies.

Regards

Fay

Jaymic Ltd, 2002 Thurgarton Road, Aldborough, Norfolk, NR11 7NY
Tel: +44 (0)1263 768768 Fax: +44 (0)1263 768336
www.jaymic.com email: [email protected]

This is the attached letter from Jaymic's supplier, MS Motor Service International GmbH Wilh.-Maybach-Str. 14-18 74196 Neuenstadt Germany:

April 2014
BMW fuel pump 7.02242.19.0

Due to the age of the cars, we had to relocate the machines on which the pumps were produced in the past. The pumps in question are produced under the license of Pierburg and we are selling them to the worldwide aftermarket.

We hereby confirm that the pumps are no counterfeit products and we assure the quality of the product.

Best regards,

MS Motor Service International GmbH

Peter Riegg
Area Sales Manager