Fuel pump jumpering

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Does anyone know offhand what you would jumper/bridge to just run the fuel pump on a '76? I just want to drain the fuel tank.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
I don't need it completely dry, there is around a third of a tank of old gas that I want to pump out since the car has been sitting for a while, and I want to replace it. Plus I want to flush the lines, etc.

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was just playing with this this past weekend. The easiest way is to turn the ignition on and then flip open the AFM vane/door. Just a minuscule amount will do it. It's pretty easy to remove the black plastic elbow that connects the AFM to the air filter housing to gain access.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drain plug, it's what it's for. Alternate is just remove the fuel sender from the top of the tank and siphon it.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my recommendation is to get a spare sender gasket if you do this ... replace it when you put it back together.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
I had no real problem removing the drain plug from a 73 that had sat outside for more than 10 years.Well there was one small problem, a very substantial film had formed over the opening actually preventing the stinky gas from draining out of the opening!

Henrik

Reaction score
Put a hose down the filling tube until it reaches the bottom of the tank and empty it by the siphon principle.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Thanks Luis, I completely forgot about the AFM trick.
Everyone else, the point of not siphoning or draining the tank(if that was an option) is because I wanted to flush the lines and check for leaks/blockages. No leaks, but serious blocked(collapsed) hose. All is good, down here in the hood.