Fuel Pump? or Fuel Regulator?

racerxx

Reaction score
I was out at lunch when my '73 coupe (US spec) let me down. In 5 years this is the first time. I believe it's the fuel pump, lately when I have driven it after 20 minutes I noticed it would sputter a little; I just figured it was the carbs gummed up or something. However, at a traffic light I went to take off it lurched slightly and then stalled and would not start. It appears it’s not getting any fuel to the carbs, so can I assume it's the fuel pump and if so, how difficult of a job is it to replace and are parts hard to come by?

Also, could it be the fuel regulator? If so, where is it located, by the carbs?

Are the fuel pump and fuel regulator easy enough jobs to undertake without any surprises? and if I'm in there, what else should I clean or replace. And lastly, is Bavarian Autosport adequate enough to source my parts or does anyone recommend some place else.

Thanks in advance for all of the advice.

Regards, John Raho Westport, Connecticut

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fuel pumps are easy and cheap. You might want to be sure the supply line is not plugged, because the mechanical pump doesn't create a huge vacuum, so if the line gets constricted it won't pump fuel. Coupe gas tanks, like most other coupe parts, rust...

CookeD

Reaction score
Even cheaper than the fuel pump is the in-line filter. I've seen them get to the point where they don't visibly appear dirty, but will no longer flow adequate amounts of fuel.

Give it a try before replacing the pump, as I think they're only a couple of bucks. Otherwise, like Tony said, the pumps are relatively cheap, and an easy install.

Good luck!

Tom M

Reaction score
Even cheaper than the filter are the two pieces of rubber gas line that go porus with time. One is in the engine compartment that connects the fuel pump to the hard line and the second is a very short piece that connects the other end of the hard line to the fuel pickup on top of the fuel tank. You have to take up the floor of the trunk to see this one.
Disconnect the input line to the fuel pump and see if ithe pump can pull some vacuum when cranking.