Fuel Pump Relay

EggUK

Reaction score
When I purchased my CSI I was aware there was an issue with the fuel pump relay, for the purposes of demonstrating the engine running, the pump was wired permenantely.

Would I be correct in saying the location of the fuel pump relay is under the rear seat along with the ECU ?

Could anyone possibly provide a photo of the location ?

Many thanks in advance.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, fuel pump relay is under the rear seat near the ECU, it's the small metal box attached to the upper back of the seat riser.

Attachments

• IMG_5201.jpg
    IMG_5201.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 824

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
When is the fuel pump supposed to run?

Can some one explain when the fuel pump should run and not run on a CSI. My one seems to run all the time, clearly the engine needs fuel all the time it is working, but in the event of an incident I would like to think that it cuts off. There is a flow and return pipe, so I assumed that it ran constantly and the pressure regulatior just returned what was not used.
Thanks
C

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good question Charles - mine too runs all the time. I have heard of the safety cut which may have been a feature on earlier models. Would be interesting to know for sure

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
turning the key on provides battery power to the coil and to the main relay.with the main relay on the fuel relay now has battery power which is fed to the fuel pump and into the cold start relay.it is the ECU that provides a ground and a positive for the signal to the fuel pump relay so that the fuel pump and the cold start relay get power.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Check pins 19&24 for 12 volts at the ecu.
They correspond to 85&86 at the relay

m73

Reaction score
FI relay

When I flip the switch, there is about 1-2 seconds of a 'hissing' sound....then the engine fires up and I could only assume the relay is 'off' or the system is using other means to regulate itself...

Hope that helps,

MF

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Having not been under the seat In a long time are the relays replaceable with a newer relay? They are over 40 years old.

Yes they are replaceable with a new relay.

Bosch 0332 019 150

It is the same relay as the main relay, except one of the spades is turned 90° on the main relay. We took the good fuel pump relay, turned the spade and replaced a toasted looking main. Used the pictured Bosch for the hidden fuel pump relay. Has been working fine for 3 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Yes they are replaceable with a new relay.

Bosch 0332 019 150

It is the same relay as the main relay, except one of the spades is turned 90° on the main relay. We took the good fuel pump relay, turned the spade and replaced a toasted looking main. Used the pictured Bosch for the hidden fuel pump relay. Has been working fine for 3 years.
May need one of does myself.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lots of these on ebay. As Steve says, carry a spare.