fuel pump

brooks

Reaction score
it appears as if I will need to have my fuel pump replaced. At least that is what my mechanic tells me. My '72 3.0 seems to "hiccup" while I'm driving.....can happen at any speed.

My question (s) are:

1) Where can I get a fuel pump for my car?

2) Approx. how much should it cost?

3) Are there fuel pumps from other cars that would fit too?

As always, thanks for your sage advice.

Need to know, is your car injected or carbureted? If it's the latter you can probably replace the pump yourself. The part should be readily available from any of the usual suspects for less than $100. The pump for a carb'd car is mechanical, mounted to the side of the cylinder head. Replacing it could not be simpler. If your pump has been replaced by an electric unit I would try to go back to mechnical if possible. Electric pumps are rarely required for carbs (unless you have triple Webers) and only cause trouble in my opinion. If your car is injected the pump will cost a little more and is a little harder to get to (it's underneath the car, over the rear axle) but still owner replaceable.

TJ is correct... The mechanical fuel pump can be replaced in less than 15 min.; replacing it is easier than changing the oil.

I picked one up from the local foreign autopart, so they're basically available anywhere.

If/when you replace it, remember to put some grease inside the pump body where the pushrod contacts the fuel pump.

Back