Fuel suction device

JensVdb

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone can tell me how to remove this fuel suction device?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3421_zpsqjy7vybb.jpg

Hi Jens,

Last time I saw this done a screwdriver and hammer were used. Just put the screw driver in on of the openings and hit it anti clockwise until you get some movement, from there on it should unscrew by hand.

There probably exist a tool for this but the hammer and screwdriver worked just fine as well.:wink:

You can try criscrossing 2 screwdrivers in an x pattern between the tabs and twisting counter clockwise. If you try the hammer use a heavy plastic one or tape any exposed metal on metal of the screwdriver to prevent any sparks.

rig up a tool

i was fearing to destroy the lips on the fuel tank sender unit, so i fabbed up a specific tool; Basically its a steel plate 10*10 cm (3*3 inch) with two tabs welded on one face of the plate that grip 2 of the lips of the fuel tank sender unit.
On the other face of the steel plate, i welded a 30 cm (1 foot) handle.

30 minutes to fab the tool, piece of cake to open it, and no ugly marks due to deformation of the lips.

I'll see if i can find a picture later. (pic added in post below)
Erik.

Last edited:
pics of the tool i made

as promised, this is the basic tool I made to remove and install the fuel tank sender unit. You need a welding machine to make it.

I tried the screwdriver technique also, but it only distorted my lips. Envisioning a situation where the lips were fully waisted, i decided to go the long but sure route.

I thought I welded on 2 tabs, but appearently I made 3 tabs. The long one actually engages 2 lips of the sender unit.

To get the tabs in the correct position, just lay tabs on the fuel tank sender unit against the lips of the sender unit. Then put the base plate on top of it, and mark the relative positions. Move the pieces to your workbench and weld there.

Don't weld on top of the tank even if you think it is empty, or we'll have one forum member less.....

basically, only 2 tabs will engage the lips, as the accurracy to position the 3 or 4 tabs isn't good enough to make sure they are all load bearing. But it never hurts to try. The more lips are pushed, the more the force is spread, thus giving less distortion.....

But maybe i'm overthinking it here.

Erik.

Attachments

• tool for fuel sender unit-2.jpg
    tool for fuel sender unit-2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 103
  • tool for fuel sender unit.jpg
    tool for fuel sender unit.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 95
Back