Funny perspective on current M3 design

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My brother sent me this. Really puts things into perspective. :D

72154344-761E-4E45-AE94-FB5256D3030D.jpeg

I honestly don’t hate the current M3 design. Airflow is a good thing right?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wonder what folks would have thought back in 1988, if BMW would have introduced this, as the new M3...would everyone want one now?...or would it have been their hot rod Edsel? Flip that coin, and I wonder if the Edsel had had a 427 and great handling, would we all lust for one of those now?...
It's like wearing a mask; some folks should have always been wearing them...

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The current design staff at BMW makes one nostalgic for Mr. Bangle's worst mistakes.

The fashion for pissed-off automobile fascias needs to end... nearly every make seems to ratchet up the excesses each year.
Lexus' Predator look keeps getting worse, and BMW's iconic kidneys mimic either beaver teeth or an exaggerated pig snout.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Take the basic elements of the design dictated by function - hood, trunk, doors and passenger compartment - and ensure that the lines required in support of the functions - door and hood openings, for example, appear without any thought for the surrounding shapes. Terminate abrubtly the lines dictated by the contours of these component parts. Add squintly lights with shapes and angles that conflict with all others on the car, and toss in a few a random lines that only serve only to highlight the fact that different elements of the exterior are made of different materials. Finish with numerous harshly angled lines pointed toward some form of gaping maw in the front so as to ensure that the design is "striking". Poof, you have a modern luxury car.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Markos, look at that friendly little puppy you want to play with vs. the decidedly snarly feline you worry may not retract it's claws!

@Ohmess... exactly. Automotive art and design schools are no different than today's culinary or architectural schools: cranking out trend followers, not artists.
Supercar makers aren't immune to this. Surely a modern equivalent to say, the Ferrari Lusso is possible, but would it be built? Flame edge seems to be the current fashion.
Even the greats sometimes push questionable products... Henrik Fisker penned the timeless Z8, but also his fish-faced (or mustachioed, take your pick) eponymous Karma.

Bangle had nothing to do with that one. ;)