FYI- ac conversions

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Changing over a 74 CS all original car to a modern 134 system.

Trying to keep some look of originality.

The driers that mount on the fender and use flare fittings are still available although few were found.
The problem is unless you want to do some soldering or welding it is becoming very difficult to find flare fittings.
I am going with O-rings where I can but drier is flare and so are pipes coming through firewall from evaporator.
The exact drier that fits like original is flare only.
The small hose is a size 6 on one end and 8 on the other with a number 6 hose.
We are going to have to weld two pieces together to get a fitting that will work.
Basically we could not find one of the fittings we need.
The condenser was easy. New almost same size and was able to drill out rivets on existing condenser brackets and attach to new condenser so mount is almost identical to original.
Just in a year since I did my car these fittings are becoming difficult to find.
So if you are going to do this you might want to start collecting the parts you will need. Just saying..................

You can buy flare to o-ring adapters I've heard. I went all o-ring with new metal pipes, they should be easy to fabricate using old ones as a template. And if you go b35 there is no room for the muffler can so I moved the drier to behind the headlight, very clean.

You can buy flare to o-ring adapters I've heard. I went all o-ring with new metal pipes, they should be easy to fabricate using old ones as a template. And if you go b35 there is no room for the muffler can so I moved the drier to behind the headlight, very clean.

Chris, this sounds really interesting. Do you have any pics of your installation? Especially the drier relocation.

Thank you.

Back